Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Fed CU -- hard pull to join?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Fed CU -- hard pull to join?

Do we have a definite answer on whether Navy Fed has been doing hard pulls for joining the CU?  At least in the last six months?

At one time the answer was that anyone joining would get a hard pull.  But I though I had heard people start reporting (more recently) that they had joined without a hard pull.

Has this been answered conclusively?  Thanks in advance...

PS.  Also curious whether all the easy entry loopholes were closed.  If anyone can comment on a reasonable strategy that would probably work for a non-military person without any obvious military family they know of, that would also help.

Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Fed CU -- hard pull to join?

Thanks pal!  Can anyone else confirm that Navy no longer involves a hard pull to join?

Message 2 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joined last week and it was a Hard Pull, I went into a branch if that matters.  She mentioned this after I signed all the papers, lol, my fault for not asking but I just hadn't heard of it for a checking.  Good news is she said the HP is good for various products for X amount of days.  I am sorry I didn't ask how many since I was annoyed and told her she may as well open a credit card if I was going to take the inquiry I didn't want it to appear as if I were denied if I didn't have a matching account.  

Message 3 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Joined last week and it was a Hard Pull, I went into a branch if that matters.  She mentioned this after I signed all the papers, lol, my fault for not asking but I just hadn't heard of it for a checking.  Good news is she said the HP is good for various products for X amount of days.  I am sorry I didn't ask how many since I was annoyed and told her she may as well open a credit card if I was going to take the inquiry I didn't want it to appear as if I were denied if I didn't have a matching account.  

So strange.  We are still getting mixed reports of some people getting hard pulls and some not.

When you opened your checking, was there an overdraft protection plan as part of it?  If so, such OPP's often involve a hard pull.

Message 4 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

You would think with one of the best intelligence agencies in the world, a soft pull would suffice.
Message 5 of 58
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymouswrote:

wrote:

So strange.  We are still getting mixed reports of some people getting hard pulls and some not.

When you opened your checking, was there an overdraft protection plan as part of it?  If so, such OPP's often involve a hard pull.

Strange indeed; I don't recall hearing of NFCU ever reusing a HP for anything.  This actually sounds more like PenFed.

If this is more than a one-off it will be a welcome change, of course. 

The NFCU 'mega' thread has a number of recent reports of membership via SP; as far as I know there haven't been any recent reports there of HPs (for membership, that is).  It's 'business as usual' for everything else, though.

Message 6 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

For what it’s worth, I joined Navy several weeks ago (my grandfather had served in WW2). Did everything over the phone, and was definitely a SP.   A couple of days ago, applied for a CC online, and they HP TU. Hope that helps. I had read in the big Navy thread that effective 1/1/18, memberships were no longer a HP, and at least for me, that was the case. 

Message 7 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I don’t come on here often. As I stated my membership checking/savings was a hard pull and the lady at the desk said it was good for like 2 weeks if I wanted more product as I stated before. I was alerted by all my credit cards that actively check my accounts of the hard pull even before I left the bank. I went into a physical location in South Korea. I came home ticked off and that’s when I said well I’m going to make the HP worth it and hit the app button and picked a credit card. 1 min later they added it to my profile and the app button was gone. I understand what others are reporting that’s why I was so confused. I did not get a second HP alert and checked manually the following week still nothing. Strangely enough though they have not reported the card and it’s been opened for just over 30 days so I’m not sure what is going on.
Message 8 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks TK.  You may have missed one of my questions.  I wrote:

We are all still trying to make sense out of why you got a hard pull, given that most people in the last few months have not received a hard pull for joining and setting up a savings/checking.

If you had an overdraft protection plan, that would probably explain it.

Message 9 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just joined literally an hour ago and I didn't received any alerts from any of the CUs.  

Message 10 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.