Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Fed CU -- hard pull to join?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Fed CU -- hard pull to join?

I applied online Aug 12th, no HP. My mother and brother both applied online several days later and neither of them got a hard pull.

Message 21 of 58
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Forgot to mention, my wife also applied in May and got a hard pull.

Message 22 of 58
Flex1
Regular Contributor

Upate:

I called NFCU this morning and spoke to customer service. "Good morning, I applied for a membership, no lines of credit, and received an alert on my credit monitoring that I have a hard inquiry from you. I called to find out why. I've never heard of a hard pull just to join a financial institution and no lines of credit...... Her response was, Well with Navy Federal Credit Union you do!" Okay then.... There you have it. 

Message 23 of 58
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Flex1 wrote:

Upate:

I called NFCU this morning and spoke to customer service. "Good morning, I applied for a membership, no lines of credit, and received an alert on my credit monitoring that I have a hard inquiry from you. I called to find out why. I've never heard of a hard pull just to join a financial institution and no lines of credit...... Her response was, Well with Navy Federal Credit Union you do!" Okay then.... There you have it. 

Most credit unions do a hard pull. So does U.S. Bank. But, I have noticed that if you only apply for a savings, there may not be a HP.

Message 24 of 58
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When DW and I joined is was sp. That was I think in April.  The only hp was our car loan  a few weeks later.  They pulled equifax  for car loan. 

We do not have any navy credit cards.  We do have savings and checking with them

LOLWUT!?!   B uou need to get your Navy cc grind onSmiley Happy  Thats like having access to  a great burger and no drinking it down with a great CokeSmiley Wink ( or whatever floats your boatSmiley Happy )

We really don't need the card. We hardly ever carry a balance. DW Amex BCP an interest rate on it of 13.xx%  with a 15K limit. She also has an Amex Magnet with 10K with a 0% promo I also talked the oracle at the Disco temple with 14K limit to keep ofering us 2% 11 month bt's . 

Wednesday I am bt  our IRS bill from Citi DC to Disco.  I have DW Bosch oven  on the Amex Magnet with 0%  for 12 months.  Because sometimes we can go 60 days between paydays we tend to keep low balances on cards  and more cash on hand than most people. 

If we had a regular job I probably would get a Navy Card.  Dw wants more of the roof redone.  Last year we replaced a big portion of shingles with tin and now she wants to finish that out.  They only take cash.       

You might get better rewards on your Amex but you could definetely get a higher limit and lower apr with Navy. You might not need it but its a great card(s) to have for emergency, especially when they roll out 0%apr 0% bt offers.

Message 25 of 58
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

When we joined in May there was no HP, only a soft pull. Card was a HP.

Message 26 of 58
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

@averagejoescredit

when do they typically pull out the 0% apr offers?

Message 27 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all.  It sounds like we are still having some people getting hard pulls simply to join and some not. 

For those who did get a hard pull....

Did you open a savings only?  Or did you also open a checking?

If you opened a checking, is it it possible that you got overdraft protection along with it (possibly without intending to)?

Is there any other credit product you might have asked about on the day you joined?  (Credit card, loan, etc.)

For those who did NOT get a hard pull...

Same questions as above.

If someone reading this thread can chime in for someone else, feel free to.

It's just strange that people should be having random experiences with this, without there being a common pattern.

Message 28 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all.  It sounds like we are still having some people getting hard pulls simply to join and some not. 

For those who did get a hard pull....

Did you open a savings only?  Or did you also open a checking?

If you opened a checking, is it it possible that you got overdraft protection along with it (possibly without intending to)?

Is there any other credit product you might have asked about on the day you joined?  (Credit card, loan, etc.)

For those who did NOT get a hard pull...

Same questions as above.

If someone reading this thread can chime in for someone else, feel free to.

It's just strange that people should be having random experiences with this, without there being a common pattern.

Just joined yesterday with no hard pull

- Opened both savings and checking.

- I don’t think I got overdraft protection.

- Nothing about other credit products.

Message 29 of 58
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

In May, me and my wife both opened a savings and checking, no overdraft. We applied for cash rewards the same day and received 2 hard pulls each.

Message 30 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.