Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Fed CU -- hard pull to join?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Fed CU -- hard pull to join?

I applied for NFCU membership by phone in early May 2018 and opened a Savings account with a soft pull. A week later I opened a Checking account and a Cash Rewards card with a hard pull on TransUnion.

Message 31 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just joined yesterday with no hard pull

- Opened both savings and checking.

- I don’t think I got overdraft protection.

- Nothing about other credit products.

Could you circle back with us in a week's time to confirm that you had no hard pull?  If you are relying on "alert" based credit monitoring system to tell you about the inquiry, these can sometimes take days to come through.

Message 32 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Data point: I joined in early July and opened just a savings account no HP, opened a SSL a few weeks later no HP, opened a checking acct with no overdraft yesterday TBD.

I will be pissed if they HP for the checking because I really didn't want to account.  They sent me an embarrassingly badly printed cashiers check for a withdraw from the savings account, and it seemed like the easiest way to get me the $.

Message 33 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied last month and opened both checking and savings via phone and rep said we may need to perform a credit check for membership but everyone's application is different. After the woman said welcome to NFCU I got an alert that TU was HP'd. As far as overdraft protection I believe new members are not eligible for OOPs for 30 days but I cannot remember. I applied for Cash Rewards HP EQ and CLOC HP TU again. 3 HP within a few days of each other.

20180919_150817.jpg

Message 34 of 58
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Maybe we should be adding our scores as well to the DPs. Maybe people with lower scores are the ones getting the HPs

Message 35 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores at the time of application were all 700+
Message 36 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Maybe we should be adding our scores as well to the DPs. Maybe people with lower scores are the ones getting the HPs

Hi Brian.  I don't think that could be a factor.  The reason is that Navy doesn't know what your scores are until AFTER they do a pull (soft or hard will give them the reports and scores).  So by the time they know what your scores are they have already done the pull.

Message 37 of 58
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

We applied in June, both my husband and I. Did application and opened a savings over the phone. Within 48 hours opened a checking account online. Called back and opening a ssl. None of these gave us a hard pull.

The only time one was received was when my husband applied for a CC, and they put one hp on transunion.

Maybe this has to do with verification. I know they have some system or something they check. Maybe if they see something on their they might need to check your credit, or maybe it's just random. Or maybe they soft pulled and then decided for some people it also needs a hard pull.

I did not have enough history at the time to generate a Fico. His scores back then were high 600s/low 700s.

Message 38 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined 5 weeks ago and it was a sp only for savings and checking account. I joined over the phone, and the csr advised me that it was sp for membership and checking, hp if I wanted any overdraft protection options, which I declined. TU HP for CC a week after joining.
Message 39 of 58
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

Did you open a savings only? Or did you also open a checking? Savings only, then next day checking online, no hp for either.
If you opened a checking, is it it possible that you got overdraft protection along with it (possibly without intending to)? No overdraft protection and that was not discussed on cal

Is there any other credit product you might have asked about on the day you joined? (Credit card, loan, etc.)

Neither of us inquired about other products while on the phone.

I joined in June, him in July

Message 40 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.