cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Fed? Here’s a puzzle for you

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Member

Navy Fed? Here’s a puzzle for you

So I am adopted. My biological grandfather served in the Army in WWII. I’m in contact now with my bio family and can get the proper paperwork. However, a simple paper trail would not show any relation. I’m guessing I’d have to show adoption records, yada yada. Is it even worth it?
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Navy Fed? Here’s a puzzle for you

It's definitely worth any hassle. 

Message 2 of 16
Valued Contributor

https://www.navyfederal.org/membership/become-a-member/eligibility.php

Call Navy. They are open 24/7. All attendants are available. They're waiting for you.
Message 3 of 16
Established Contributor

Do it. You're not getting security clearance, you're opening a bank account. When I enrolled my dad, he just needed to provide my membership number. He applied in branch and walked out with an account. You'll be fine.

As an aside, I hope things are going well with your bio-family.

Message 4 of 16
Senior Contributor

@Djtcl5 wrote:
So I am adopted. My biological grandfather served in the Army in WWII. I’m in contact now with my bio family and can get the proper paperwork. However, a simple paper trail would not show any relation. I’m guessing I’d have to show adoption records, yada yada. Is it even worth it?

Call Navy Fed.  Don't apply online.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you tell them your grandfather served in the Army.

Message 5 of 16
Super Contributor

@Djtcl5 wrote:

I would just go ahead with it, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Total revolving limits 732500 (606000 reporting) 12/4/20 FICO 8 scores: EQ 715 TU 760 EX 735
Message 6 of 16
Valued Member

Thank you all. I am guessing when I call I should simply say my grandfather and not go into all the adoption stuff? I’ve read where some peoples accounts were frozen pending documentation. If that should happen and I can’t get adoption paperwork, (it’s complicated) I guess the worse that could happen is that my account would close and my money returned. Correct?
Message 7 of 16
Frequent Contributor

I guess they've closed the loopholes for joining local chapters of the Navy League? Both NavyFed and PenFed have been amazing in terms of customer service.
Message 8 of 16
Valued Contributor

It will be a TransUnion soft pull for membership. 15 to 20 minute conversation. 30 to 45 minutes if you'd like to chit chat and apply for additional products. It'll be a Transunion hard pull if you're applying for a credit card.
Message 9 of 16
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Djtcl5 wrote:
Thank you all. I am guessing when I call I should simply say my grandfather and not go into all the adoption stuff? I’ve read where some peoples accounts were frozen pending documentation. If that should happen and I can’t get adoption paperwork, (it’s complicated) I guess the worse that could happen is that my account would close and my money returned. Correct?

They can request documentation at any time, but I'm closing in on 2 years and they haven't asked yet.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.