Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Fed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Fed

I read all the good things about Navy Fed and wanted to join, but having troubles online. The questions asked about family members or friends who served don't apply. My dad was in the army, but that's pretty much it and doesn't seem to be an option? Has anyone had success joining and not meeting the requirements? 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Navy Fed

https://digital-membership.navyfederal.org/#/step/eligibility-choices

I have a family member who serves or served in the military.

If one of your immediate family members serves or has served in the military but is not a Navy Federal member, you may still be eligible for membership.

Immediate family members include:

• Parents and grandparents
  • Children and grandchildren
  • Siblings and spouses

Once your family member joins Navy Federal, you'll be eligible as well. If they can't or don't want to become a member right now, you can still join. You may need one of the following documents from your family member:

• Driver's License with Veteran's designation
  • State-issued Veteran ID Card
  • Military orders
  • Leave orders
  • Earning statement (LES)
  • Enlistment papers
  • Proof of direct deposit from DoD
  • Pension papers from DoD
  • DD 214
  • NGB 22

Give us a call at 1-888-842-6328 or visit a branch to finish signing up for membership.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I just read that portion on the site. I don't have any of that information that it asks for though and my father passed away a while back. I'll give them a call and see what can be done. 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's worth a try. My brother is active duty USMC and I joined based on his service. I was asked my eligibility, told them that, and the rep said "OK, you're good", and that was that.

Message 4 of 13
blindambition
Senior Contributor

You can get his DD-214 from archives.gov. The National Archives are currently providing for emergencies, like burials. Due to COVID. Good luck!!

Message 5 of 13
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's worth a try. My brother is active duty USMC and I joined based on his service. I was asked my eligibility, told them that, and the rep said "OK, you're good", and that was that.

This seems to be the norm recently. It's been said that they have system to confirm eligibility. I would still get your dad's DD-214 from National Archives. Navy does random audits, and wouldn't want to get locked out of accounts.

Message 6 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@blindambition wrote:

You can get his DD-214 from archives.gov The National Archives are currently providing for emergencies, like burials. Due to COVID. Good luck!!

In addition to this, if you are located in or near the county registrar (or county clerk) where your father lived at the time of discharge, a physical copy should be on file if they were discharged prior to 2000.  With the availability of 3rd-party records searches, many people report not having to supply documentation to NFCU.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston 

Tbanks! I was able to open an account without sending verification but I was prepared to have to get it if needed. Now I'm curious as to which card is best for me. That's really what I was after. Do you have any recommendations? I did the pre-app tool and all the cards came up, but not sure which is the best. 

Message 8 of 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your membership!
Message 9 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston 

Tbanks! I was able to open an account without sending verification but I was prepared to have to get it if needed. Now I'm curious as to which card is best for me. That's really what I was after. Do you have any recommendations? I did the pre-app tool and all the cards came up, but not sure which is the best. 

Congrats!   I would still pursue a DD-214 just in case.

It really depends on what you are after.  Flagship might subjectively be the best with its higher maximum credit line ($80k vs $50k), credits and overall earning but it does have an annual fee, may not be great if you don't travel, and will have higher criteria for approval.  It also sometimes has a signup bonus that is usually worth $500, so grabbing it now you would miss out on that potential.

More Rewards is great if the bonus categories fit your spending.  Platinum is awesome for an introductory balance transfer offer and an ongoing low APR if you carry balances.

I would take a look at the individual benefits and earnings of each card to decide what best fits your spending and needs.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.