Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Credit Union NFCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union NFCU

This is usually why I don't post in public forums because people will try to pick your comments apart. Ok... I meant no derogs as far as BK's, collections, charge offs... Those kind of negs. I have 2 late payments on a Target card from 3 years ago. 2 30 day lates 4 months apart. I had 2 homes. 1 in California and 1 in AZ. I was moving to AZ full time and closed out my credit unions in California since they were just local to Sacramento. Now... If you think those 2 lates are the derogs they're trippin on then so be it I guess. Their reply message didn't mention payment history. They claimed too new of an acct and I call B.S. cause there are quite few people on all these forums applying same day with a 660 score & getting bigger credit lines. I have experian, transunion & equifax credit monitoring. I flip houses and I watch my scores like a hawk and especially since I was just in escrow. I also have identityiq and creditwise.
Message 11 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I was saying is my target card was on auto pay and when i closed my cali cu i forgot target. Missed the 2nd one before i set up a new autopay. Dumb mistakes.
Message 12 of 34
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

OP, 

Having read and researched in advance, I'm sure you already know that everyone's profile is different; just as different lenders like different profiles. Unfortunately, at times it can seem as if there is no rhyme or reason, though folks have gotten pretty good at making assumptions about most lenders (Discover not included).

With scores in the low 700's, there are clearly sigificant negatives on your report. Have you looked at your reports recently? If so, I'm betting there are more than just a couple of late payments. And, if I'm wrong, I assume they are either recent, severe or both. If you provide more detail on the negatives, we might be able to provide some feedback.

Other thoughts/comments:

• As others have already stated, while NFCU can be extremely generous to those with poor scores, in the vast majority of cases, these are second cards AFTER they've established a relationship.
  • I've seen little evidence that income plays a major role in NFCU's credit decisions. On the other hand, there is substantial evidence that DTI does. Perhaps that is what spooked them.

Message 13 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
This is usually why I don't post in public forums because people will try to pick your comments apart. Ok... I meant no derogs as far as BK's, collections, charge offs... Those kind of negs. I have 2 late payments on a Target card from 3 years ago. 2 30 day lates 4 months apart. I had 2 homes. 1 in California and 1 in AZ. I was moving to AZ full time and closed out my credit unions in California since they were just local to Sacramento. Now... If you think those 2 lates are the derogs they're trippin on then so be it I guess. Their reply message didn't mention payment history. They claimed too new of an acct and I call B.S. cause there are quite few people on all these forums applying same day with a 660 score & getting bigger credit lines. I have experian, transunion & equifax credit monitoring. I flip houses and I watch my scores like a hawk and especially since I was just in escrow. I also have identityiq and creditwise.

You appear to be looking for an argument but you wouldn't find one here.  I'm simply trying to understand why you were approved for such low limits and the two 30 date lates would have had an influence even if NFCU didn't mention it.  Payment history accounts for 35% of your FICO score so its the largest factor driving your scores.

None of those sources of credit scores appear to be FICO scores, except for Experian.  They all seem to offer Vantage 3.0 scores.

Message 14 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only baddies on my reports are the 4 inquiries and 2 late payments. That's it. I agree tho... Everyone gets a different result. I did read a few comments where people said if that middle of the pack don't do too well with navy. They tend to cater to low credit scores or high credit scores. After my experience I believe that and that is why I posted here for others just in case. Wasn't looking for arguments or credit police... Just tryna help others.
Message 15 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have my scores confirmed from my lender since I just closed escrow... But would hate to argue with you about "my personal" experience that I have better knowledge of than you. Lol
Message 16 of 34
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

OP, 

I haven't read anything indicating people are trying to pick your comments apart. Like you, we're simply trying to determine the likely cause of the toy limits. Beyond helping you, it helps establish evidence helpful for future applicants.

As I mentioned earlier, I think you may need to revisit your reports. My TU FICO 8 is 723 (NFCU pulls TU for new CC apps) and I have a LOT more late payments than you (>25). And, if I recall correctly, six of which were 90 days late (most recent late was over 4 years ago). So, if your score is 710, something else must be going on.

@Anonymous wrote:
This is usually why I don't post in public forums because people will try to pick your comments apart.

Message 17 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. Whatever you say.
Message 18 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first NFCU card was a $500 cash rewards.
6 months later I was approved for $25,000 Flagship.
A relationship means something to NFCU.
Message 19 of 34
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I am going to post a friendly reminder all posts must be made in an FSR manner, several are approaching flaming which would be a TOS violation. Thanks for your understanding.
Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.