Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Froze Accont

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal Froze Accont

Hi Everyone! New to the boards and had a quick question. I joined NFCU through my girlfriend. Everything was fine and I was approved for membership. They asked me to send all of my paperwork verifying my address. We moved to a new home July 2016. I never updated my address on my ID (I know, shame on me). NFCU states my ID has to match my address. Fine, no problem. I updated my ID online yesterday and sent it to them today, showing that I have updated my address and currently waiting on it to come in the mail. I then sent a copy of the receipt from the DPS, my ID with my old address on it since it included a picture, and my social security card. I call back today and they say that the temporary ID isn't sufficient. Does anyone know this to be true? I  mean the temporary has my DL number, address, etc. The same thing that's on my old ID just different address. Do I truly have to wait until I get my ID in the mail in order to unfreeze my account? I have deposits going in my account and I don't have access to my money. I also don't have a NFCU anywhere near me. Please advise! Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Froze Accont

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone! New to the boards and had a quick question. I joined NFCU through my girlfriend. Everything was fine and I was approved for membership. They asked me to send all of my paperwork verifying my address. We moved to a new home July 2016. I never updated my address on my ID (I know, shame on me). NFCU states my ID has to match my address. Fine, no problem. I updated my ID online yesterday and sent it to them today, showing that I have updated my address and currently waiting on it to come in the mail. I then sent a copy of the receipt from the DPS, my ID with my old address on it since it included a picture, and my social security card. I call back today and they say that the temporary ID isn't sufficient. Does anyone know this to be true? I  mean the temporary has my DL number, address, etc. The same thing that's on my old ID just different address. Do I truly have to wait until I get my ID in the mail in order to unfreeze my account? I have deposits going in my account and I don't have access to my money. I also don't have a NFCU anywhere near me. Please advise! Thanks!

Hi Garner69,

First let me say that I am not a member of NFCU, but am a member of PenFed.  A quick look at NFCU's website indicates driver's license or government ID.  I have found no mention of temporary IDs on their site.  This leads me to believe that yes they will need an ID that is not a temporary one.  I hope this works out for you very quickly though as from what I see, they froze your account probably due to some kind of identy theft / fraud protection.

Maybe others can chime in who have more experience with this than that I do.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to wait for your ID as they won't accept the temporary one.  When they freeze your account, it can be a nightmarish process if you don't comply...  So if you have to wait, then by all means do so.

Message 3 of 12
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Gamer69,

Unfortunately you are going to have get Navy Federal a copy of your actual ID with your correct address to unlock your accounts.  You have to remember NFCU runs like the government  and you have to play by their rules. If I were you, I would get it to them as soon as possible. NFCU has a history of closing accounts if documents aren't submitted  in a timely manner.  

It is situations like yours tat keep me from using NFCU as my everyday checking.

Please let us know the outcome.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Garner69 wrote:

Yes you have to wait.

First off, they are charged by the Regulators to have a policy, and this is their policy, like many other Financial Institutions that have a similar policy.

In addition to it being their policy, they also have a history of people joining to commit FRAUD.

So if you want to participate, you will have to wait.

Additionally, in the past year, a contributor on this site chose to apply via a family member as a sponsor with an Out of State driver's license (by one year) and used a non-recent Utility Bill to support the physical address they submitted on the application. 

Like yourself, they were not happy. 

However, it is the Navy Federal Credit Union's responsibility to "Verify IDENTITY"  and they have created a required policy procedure to do so, and they choose to follow it.

The upside is, your wait will only be temporary.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally understand their protocol. I just think it's strange that they approve you for credit cards, mail them, then allow you to deposit money in the account when it's not verified completely. Oh well, we shall wait!

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: I'm able to login to my account now. I'm guessing it's not frozen anymore? 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Identity Verification: Section 326 of The Patriot Act, October 2001

Garner69 wrote:

I totally understand their protocol. I just think it's strange that they approve you for credit cards, mail them, then allow you to deposit money in the account when it's not verified completely. Oh well, we shall wait!

* I guess I missed where you "initially" stated  in your first post that you actually applied for credit cards, were approved, and they mailed them to you, and you deposited money into the account.

If you were approved for credit cards and they mailed them to you, why would you have to update your address online?

It seems like it is totally unconnected to the issue at hand? Why update your address?

Not sure why anyone in the post September 11, 2001 world would choose not to have updated government photo ID.

This Credit Union is just complying with the

SEC. 326. VERIFICATION OF IDENTIFICATION of The Patriot Act of October 2001.

PUBLIC LAW 107–56—OCT. 26, 2001

UNITING AND STRENGTHENING AMERICA BY PROVIDING APPROPRIATE TOOLS REQUIRED TO INTERCEPT AND OBSTRUCT TERRORISM (USA PATRIOT ACT) ACT OF 2001

OCT. 26, 2001 Public Law 107 –56

107th Congress An Act To deter and punish terrorist acts in the United States and around the world, to enhance law enforcement investigatory tools, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

. . .

SEC. 326. VERIFICATION OF IDENTIFICATION.

(a) IN GENERAL

Section 5318 of title 31, United States Code, as amended by this title, is amended by adding at the end the following:

(l) IDENTIFICATION AND VERIFICATION OF ACCOUNTHOLDERS

(1) IN GENERAL

Subject to the requirements of this subsection, the Secretary of the Treasury shall prescribe regulations setting forth the minimum standards for financial institutions and their customers regarding the identity of the customer that shall apply in connection with the opening of an account at a financial institution.

(2) MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS

The regulations shall, at a minimum, require financial institutions to implement, and customers (after being given adequate notice) to comply with, reasonable procedures for

(A) verifying the identity of any person seeking to open an account to the extent reasonable and practicable;

(B) maintaining records of the information used to verify a person’s identity, including name, address, and other identifying information; and

(C) consulting lists of known or suspected terrorists or terrorist organizations provided to the financial institution by any government agency to determine whether a person seeking to open an account appears on any such list.

* 2017 - 2001 =  approximately  14 years this law has been in effect?

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Identity Verification: Section 326 of The Patriot Act, October 2001

I updated my address online with the DPS, not NFCU. My ID still listed my old address. Regardless, they approved the temporary ID apparently because the account is no longer frozen. Thanks for your help.

Message 9 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Navy Federal Froze Account

@Anonymous wrote:

I updated my address online with the DPS, not NFCU. My ID still listed my old address. Regardless, they approved the temporary ID apparently because the account is no longer frozen. Thanks for your help.

I'm glad to see it appears to have all worked out.  Smiley Happy

To be certain you might consider reaching out to them... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  Smiley Wink

Edited to restore post title.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.