Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Membership Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal Membership Question

I figured it's time to become a customer of a consumer-friendly bank, and NFCU seemed like the right choice.  So, I called and opened an account.  They opened checking and savings accounts, took my $5 membership fee, and gave me my Access ID over the phone.  But here's the weird part:

I'm eligible to join because both of my dead grandfathers fought in Korea, one with the Air Force and one with the Marines.  To my knowledge, neither one was a member of NFCU, but I'm the grandchild of a veteran, so yeah, that counts.  Anyway, the person who set up my account asked ZERO questions about them, other than "What branch?  Were they veterans?  You're eligible."  Is this ... normal?  Or should I expect to have to deal with their notoriously zealous security department?  The woman didn't even ask for their names, dates of birth, SSNs, whether they had been NFCU members, nothing.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Membership Question

Yes, this is normal. Just be ready to provide documentation that your grandfathers were veterans. Better yet, if you have an NFCU branch nearby, you can take them documentation of eligibility which is what I did to save any future hassle.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah they do have a security department - that is for sure! I was in the Army National Guard and I signed up at a branch and then weeks later they shut down my account requiring additional verification documents. Be prepared - they shut me down without warning with money already in my accounts! That part kind of pissed me off as I felt that was unprofessional. Don't sign me up and say it's all good if its not all good and at a bare minimum give me a phone call. LOL 

Relationship didn't start off great but now I LOVE Navy! 

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just recently joined as well. My grandfather who has passed retired from the Navy. He was never a NFCU member however I was still able to join. I called in to setup my membership and I simply told them my grandfather retired from the Navy. They didn’t ask for any verification or paperwork or anything. I was kind of shocked at how easy it was.

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

My dad was in the navy (passed away) but I was able to call in and get signed up. I did have his SSN as a backup but they never asked for it. I signed up in June of this year. Even started my son a saving account and no other information regarding my father was required. Guess it just depends. 

Message 5 of 29
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Just so those of you who have or are considering Navy Federal Credit Union membership, this is what you need to prove for NFCU eligibility.

For eligibility to become a member of Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) you must have an affiliation to one of the following.

• Active Duty members of the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard
  • Army and Air National Guard
  • Delayed Entry Program (DEP)
  • DoD Officer Candidate/ROTC
  • DoD Reservists
  • Veterans, retirees and annuitants
  • DoD civilian employees
  • U.S. Government employees assigned to DoD installations
  • DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations
  • DoD civilian retirees and annuitants
  • Immediate family members of current members and those who are eligible for membership. Immediate family includes:
    • Grandparents
    • Parents
    • Spouses
    • Siblings
    • Children (including adopted and stepchildren)
    • Grandchildren
    • Household members

Once your family member joins Navy Federal, you'll be eligible as well. If they can't or don't want to become a member right now, you can still join. You may need one of the following documents from your family member:

• Driver's License with Veterans designation
  • State-issued Veteran ID Card
  • Military orders
  • Leave orders
  • Earning statement (LES)
  • Enlistment papers
  • Proof of direct deposit from DoD
  • Pension papers from DoD
  • DD 214
  • NGB 22

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 6 of 29
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Be careful OP as others echoed you can be shutdown fairly quickly you joined by deceased relatives.  Their team that handles eligibility is pretty on top of things.

Message 7 of 29
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Be careful OP as others echoed you can be shutdown fairly quickly you joined by deceased relatives.  Their team that handles eligibility is pretty on top of things.

Hmm, my late father served in the army and as I was executor of his estate I have his papers and found his army ID card. That should work but I'm really not seeing a reason to join. They're known for their generous CLs on CCs and low auto loan rates, but I don't need either, and their checking & savings accounts don't look that great compared to what I already have.

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

I thought the same, but three CSR reps have assured me that I'm eligible based on the veteran status of a deceased immediate family member.  One of them told me, basically, that if one of my loved ones died/sacrificed for this country, then I should be eligible based on MY service to that loved one when they were alive; it would be 'cruel' otherwise.  That makes sense.

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

He is just saying to be ready with supporting documentation and I agree.
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.