cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Policies and Features overall

Senior Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Policies and Features overall

Great thread Humu , I agree 100 percent with everything and esp the one Hp for several products within a reasonable amount of time, also with the fact that they need to verify all docs and id's prior to letting anyone app for products and getting stuck in frozen hell .
Also another inconvenience I have found is I can't easily move money into my acct from my main bank , with USAA they let me ACH transfer money with my ex acct and irs super fast and easy . I tried to do a transfer like this to put some funds into my savings at Navy and couldn't figure it out so I went on chat and was told I could not do it that way . I would have to set it up with my main acct and transfer that way . Apparently you are only allowed to do extra transfers to pay payments on loan and credit cards . This is inconvenient for me but overall I'm very happy with them as far as everything else goes .
Message 11 of 29
Regular Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Policies and Features overall


UncleB wrote:

coneyj123 wrote:

Been with NFCU (checking, CC) since June, going to ask for a CLI increase in about 2 -3 weeks (after third statements cuts). I love the CC. Great cask back, low rates (not that I've paid any interest) good on line information and access though their web site.

 

I like the checking too, my only issues are with the ability to push or pull money to the accounts from other banks (Pen Fed has the best ability) and  with funds availability time (I realize they are following the law, but I've gotten spoiled with TD Bank's next day availability. check in on Fri avail Sat). I've read that they like to see activity on all accounts, depending how I'm able to make the Navy CC grow, I guess I'll just I'll have to get used to it. 

 

I'd love to see a new thread about NF and their policies. 


Coneyj, I don't know if this helps but when I push money into my NFCU savings account it's available the very next day (i.e. I send it on Monday, it's gets to NFCU and is available first thing Tuesday AM).  I think there is an additional one day lag on the ledger balance, but the funds are available for withdrawal on the available balance. 

 

If you are pulling the money I can see how that might cause an additional delay, but if you're pushing the funds you shouldn't have that problem, or at least I haven't. 

 

I can't specifically speak to how they work with ACH pull transactions, since I've not used that before.  I'm sure others will have data points, though!  Smiley Happy


Unfortunately TD Bank charges $3.00 for the ACH and the takes 3 days (at least for the 1st 90 days of beginning use of the service). 

Ch 7 Discharged Jan 16; Credit Scores around 700 + or - 10 points or so (estimate haven't checked any real scores in a while)
Message 12 of 29
Senior Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Policies and Features overall


coneyj123 wrote:

UncleB wrote:

coneyj123 wrote:

Been with NFCU (checking, CC) since June, going to ask for a CLI increase in about 2 -3 weeks (after third statements cuts). I love the CC. Great cask back, low rates (not that I've paid any interest) good on line information and access though their web site.

 

I like the checking too, my only issues are with the ability to push or pull money to the accounts from other banks (Pen Fed has the best ability) and  with funds availability time (I realize they are following the law, but I've gotten spoiled with TD Bank's next day availability. check in on Fri avail Sat). I've read that they like to see activity on all accounts, depending how I'm able to make the Navy CC grow, I guess I'll just I'll have to get used to it. 

 

I'd love to see a new thread about NF and their policies. 


Coneyj, I don't know if this helps but when I push money into my NFCU savings account it's available the very next day (i.e. I send it on Monday, it's gets to NFCU and is available first thing Tuesday AM).  I think there is an additional one day lag on the ledger balance, but the funds are available for withdrawal on the available balance. 

 

If you are pulling the money I can see how that might cause an additional delay, but if you're pushing the funds you shouldn't have that problem, or at least I haven't. 

 

I can't specifically speak to how they work with ACH pull transactions, since I've not used that before.  I'm sure others will have data points, though!  Smiley Happy


Unfortunately TD Bank charges $3.00 for the ACH and the takes 3 days (at least for the 1st 90 days of beginning use of the service). 


 

I'm telling you, mobile deposit is the way to go! You can deposit at 3am in your comfy pajamas at home, and it usually gets credited within 1-3 hours.

 

No fees, no waiting for ACH to go through and checking back to ensure it did, or possible ACH glitches.

 

Easy and streamlined! Smiley Happy



Favorite Cards : ~ Citi Double Cash World Elite MasterCard ~
~ American Express Blue Cash Preferred ~ Chase Hyatt Visa Signature ~
~ Citi AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard ~ Citi Prestige ~ Alaska Airlines Visa Signature ~ Discover it Miles ~
Message 13 of 29
Moderator

Re: Navy Federal Policies and Features overall


humuhumunukunukuapuaa wrote:

coneyj123 wrote:

UncleB wrote:

coneyj123 wrote:

Been with NFCU (checking, CC) since June, going to ask for a CLI increase in about 2 -3 weeks (after third statements cuts). I love the CC. Great cask back, low rates (not that I've paid any interest) good on line information and access though their web site.

 

I like the checking too, my only issues are with the ability to push or pull money to the accounts from other banks (Pen Fed has the best ability) and  with funds availability time (I realize they are following the law, but I've gotten spoiled with TD Bank's next day availability. check in on Fri avail Sat). I've read that they like to see activity on all accounts, depending how I'm able to make the Navy CC grow, I guess I'll just I'll have to get used to it. 

 

I'd love to see a new thread about NF and their policies. 


Coneyj, I don't know if this helps but when I push money into my NFCU savings account it's available the very next day (i.e. I send it on Monday, it's gets to NFCU and is available first thing Tuesday AM).  I think there is an additional one day lag on the ledger balance, but the funds are available for withdrawal on the available balance. 

 

If you are pulling the money I can see how that might cause an additional delay, but if you're pushing the funds you shouldn't have that problem, or at least I haven't. 

 

I can't specifically speak to how they work with ACH pull transactions, since I've not used that before.  I'm sure others will have data points, though!  Smiley Happy


Unfortunately TD Bank charges $3.00 for the ACH and the takes 3 days (at least for the 1st 90 days of beginning use of the service). 


 

I'm telling you, mobile deposit is the way to go! You can deposit at 3am in your comfy pajamas at home, and it usually gets credited within 1-3 hours.

 

No fees, no waiting for ACH to go through and checking back to ensure it did, or possible ACH glitches.

 

Easy and streamlined! Smiley Happy


+1

 

In this instance especially, it seems mobile deposit is the clear winner.  Smiley Happy

 

(There's no way I would pay any bank for an ACH transfer.)

Message 14 of 29
Regular Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Policies and Features overall


humuhumunukunukuapuaa wrote:

coneyj123 wrote:

UncleB wrote:

coneyj123 wrote:

Been with NFCU (checking, CC) since June, going to ask for a CLI increase in about 2 -3 weeks (after third statements cuts). I love the CC. Great cask back, low rates (not that I've paid any interest) good on line information and access though their web site.

 

I like the checking too, my only issues are with the ability to push or pull money to the accounts from other banks (Pen Fed has the best ability) and  with funds availability time (I realize they are following the law, but I've gotten spoiled with TD Bank's next day availability. check in on Fri avail Sat). I've read that they like to see activity on all accounts, depending how I'm able to make the Navy CC grow, I guess I'll just I'll have to get used to it. 

 

I'd love to see a new thread about NF and their policies. 


Coneyj, I don't know if this helps but when I push money into my NFCU savings account it's available the very next day (i.e. I send it on Monday, it's gets to NFCU and is available first thing Tuesday AM).  I think there is an additional one day lag on the ledger balance, but the funds are available for withdrawal on the available balance. 

 

If you are pulling the money I can see how that might cause an additional delay, but if you're pushing the funds you shouldn't have that problem, or at least I haven't. 

 

I can't specifically speak to how they work with ACH pull transactions, since I've not used that before.  I'm sure others will have data points, though!  Smiley Happy


Unfortunately TD Bank charges $3.00 for the ACH and the takes 3 days (at least for the 1st 90 days of beginning use of the service). 


 

I'm telling you, mobile deposit is the way to go! You can deposit at 3am in your comfy pajamas at home, and it usually gets credited within 1-3 hours.

 

No fees, no waiting for ACH to go through and checking back to ensure it did, or possible ACH glitches.

 

Easy and streamlined! Smiley Happy


I did/do use the mobile deposit and NFCU polices (amt per day) and app are great.

 

Unfortunately the hold periods are a bit long, deposited on Friday wasn't clear until 2 Business days (was Wednesday because of a Monday holiday).  I'd love to be able to deposit it into TD (deposit in branch on Fri avail Saturday, TD'smobile deposit policies suck and I've had deposits held 5 days) and be able to move it without a fee and little delay to NFCU. While NF and TD utilize the exact same on line banking services, I rather utilize NF.  

 

Unfortunately I haben't been able to build up the cash reserves yet where hold periods aren't a problem or not noticed (not that its a problem, but I rather have my funds available ASAP).   

Ch 7 Discharged Jan 16; Credit Scores around 700 + or - 10 points or so (estimate haven't checked any real scores in a while)
Message 15 of 29
Senior Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Policies and Features overall

 

 

humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:

 

I'm telling you, mobile deposit is the way to go! You can deposit at 3am in your comfy pajamas at home, and it usually gets credited within 1-3 hours.

 

No fees, no waiting for ACH to go through and checking back to ensure it did, or possible ACH glitches.

 

Easy and streamlined! Smiley Happy


 

coneyj123 wrote:

 

I did/do use the mobile deposit and NFCU polices (amt per day) and app are great.

 

Unfortunately the hold periods are a bit long, deposited on Friday wasn't clear until 2 Business days (was Wednesday because of a Monday holiday).  I'd love to be able to deposit it into TD (deposit in branch on Fri avail Saturday, TD'smobile deposit policies suck and I've had deposits held 5 days) and be able to move it without a fee and little delay to NFCU. While NF and TD utilize the exact same on line banking services, I rather utilize NF.  

 

Unfortunately I haben't been able to build up the cash reserves yet where hold periods aren't a problem or not noticed (not that its a problem, but I rather have my funds available ASAP).   


 

Two thoughts on this, coneyj. One, mobile deposit usually goes through within a few hours - if you are new to NFCU, there could be a delay due to that. Also, all bank operations will be delayed on the weekend - including ACH, so in that case, there is no advantage of ACH over mobile deposit.

 

In addition to account deposits, even bank credit card payments don't process right away on the weekend- unless you are talking about Citi or Amex, where your account gets credited immediately for the payment.

 

Weekend delays are not specific to NFCU, as you can see. Smiley Happy

 

During the week and even in the evening, I've regularly had NFCU mobile deposits go in within 1-3 hours. Alliant mobile deposits are immediate after the 1st 30 days of being a customer, so that is a CU you may also wish to investigate. 

 

 

Another thought - if you are anywhere close to an NFCU ATM (these are listed on their website and actually there are quite a few), the account would be credited immediately. Good luck and hope these ideas help. Smiley Happy



Favorite Cards : ~ Citi Double Cash World Elite MasterCard ~
~ American Express Blue Cash Preferred ~ Chase Hyatt Visa Signature ~
~ Citi AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard ~ Citi Prestige ~ Alaska Airlines Visa Signature ~ Discover it Miles ~
Message 16 of 29
Senior Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Policies and Features overall

OK im kind of new to all this moving money around , I have only had 2 accts that I push and pull from thus far being USAA and my local CU , it's pretty fast wit ACH USAA gives me instant credit , it does take about 3 days to come out of my other acct.
My question is I need a way to move money into Navy Fed from my CU that's not all complicated, with the mobile deposit how do you do it if you don't have a payroll check but want to move mone from your other bank,.do you write yourself a check ?
Message 17 of 29
Senior Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Policies and Features overall


Aduke1122 wrote:

My question is I need a way to move money into Navy Fed from my CU that's not all complicated, with the mobile deposit how do you do it if you don't have a payroll check but want to move mone from your other bank,.do you write yourself a check ?

 

Exactly. You can write yourself a check from any other account you choose, snap a photo with your phone using NFCU's mobile app, and bam, it's into your account quickly. You can also deposit checks from other people or institutions using the mobile app.

 

I ordered regular checks from my main bank and easily write one to transfer funds to either NFCU or Alliant when needed, and the transfer happens quickly.

 

I hadn't used checks for years, but being able to snap a quick photo on my phone and have money go in easily has made a believer out of me. Much more seamless (and faster) than ACH transfers, in my opinion.



Favorite Cards : ~ Citi Double Cash World Elite MasterCard ~
~ American Express Blue Cash Preferred ~ Chase Hyatt Visa Signature ~
~ Citi AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard ~ Citi Prestige ~ Alaska Airlines Visa Signature ~ Discover it Miles ~
Message 18 of 29
Senior Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Policies and Features overall

Great thanks Humu once again for the info , I will have to call and order some checks today as I haven't had a need for them in years 😉
Message 19 of 29
Senior Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Policies and Features overall

Another nice feature of Navy is their exceptional in-branch customer service, as I've just discovered. We don't live close to any Navy Federal branches, so we took the opportunity to visit a branch in a different state whien we were on vacation recently.

 

We were probably the only people there who were so excited to actually see or be in a Navy Federal branch (ha), but the surprise was that the lady behind the desk wehn we first walked in was visibly excited right along with us when we told her there were no branches near us, and we had come to this one especially to see it while traveling!

 

She came around outside the desk and shook both of our hands, told us she was so glad we had stopped by, and explained a few things to us about their branch. She also told us if we needed anything at all to please let her know. Just a warm welcome and a genuine smile from someone who wasn't just playing a role that her employment required, but was genuinely glad to have us there.

 

Bravo, Navy Federal! Smiley Happy



Favorite Cards : ~ Citi Double Cash World Elite MasterCard ~
~ American Express Blue Cash Preferred ~ Chase Hyatt Visa Signature ~
~ Citi AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard ~ Citi Prestige ~ Alaska Airlines Visa Signature ~ Discover it Miles ~
Message 20 of 29