Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Versus Others?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal Versus Others?

Does anyone know of a credit union that’s very similar to Navy Federal?

My Fico EX and TU scores are sitting at 605. With a 575 TU and 50k income I was able to be approved for a Nvy Federal Plat Card $10,000 and 17.99% rate. My current utilization is at 30% with that card.

Are there any other credit unions that can be as generous with credit limits at my credit score???

I have 6 baddies on my account (3k total), 7 year credit history and 2 credit cards (Navy federal and my school credit card with no utilization).

Don’t feel the need to comment if you don’t know of any other credit union.
9 REPLIES 9
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Versus Others?

000ahoy.gifI'm an NFCU member and a huge fan.

That said; There are very few CU or lenders of any kind like Navy. They are an island in & of themselves.

Your uti is rather high atm 30% is that on both cards? What's the uti on your student card?

Also dti will play a roll. What is your income? 

How long have you have the NFCU card? Have you been working on clearing up the baddies?

Getting a cli or 2nd card with NFCU would probably net you better results than finding another lender willing to extend a $10,000 SL with your profile as is. Sorry. 

Do you have your actual Fico scores? Or are those from credit karma etc? 

Sorry for all the questions but the answers will help members to better assist you.

cheersgif.gif

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve had the card three months. Going to ask for CLI around the 90 day mark.
Message 3 of 10
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I’ve had the card three months. Going to ask for CLI around the 90 day mark.

I don't want to sound discouraging but...

If your score hasn't improved and you still have the same negatives on your CR, you might want to give it 6 months.

There's been a lot of DPs of people getting declined a cli on the 91/3 mark.

The best advice is: wait 6 months unless your profile has improved.

It's up to you, just want you to have positive results. 

I had no baddies and my score had improved but I still waited over 5 months to do a cli request after reading through the most recent DPs & results for others..

Good Luck either way. 

Message 4 of 10
crys12065
Established Contributor

I love Nacy Fed! They have been very good to me. I have 2 cards with them. You can have up to 3, have you thought about getting another one of theirs after the 90 days? They are really the only ones I’ve come across that will give someone a CL of $15K with scores in the low 600’s. Also They say getting a second card with NFCU is easier than a CLI which I’ve experienced. I was denied an increase on my $1500 cash rewards card and applied for the Amex 2 days and approved for $15K SL so I think there is some truth to that. Just remember all CLI requests with them are HP’s, that’s the only draw back with them IMO.

In the garden until 2020
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My score has improved..
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great advice, I’ll probably end up doing that. I just wanted a back up option in case Plan A went awry. Should I apply to both on the same day?
Message 7 of 10
crys12065
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Great advice, I’ll probably end up doing that. I just wanted a back up option in case Plan A went awry. Should I apply to both on the same day?

Well They pull different credit bureaus, EQ for CLI’s and TU for new credit cards so I don’t really think it matters if you don’t care about the HP’s.  

In the garden until 2020
Message 8 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can attempt to do this, but I would not recommend it in my opinion with where you stand.  The mention of getting multiple cards or getting a card being easier than an increase is still usually going to depend on your profile and where your credit stands.  You may risk getting HP's for nothing by being denied.  I just want you to be aware of what can also go wrong here.  It sounds like for a reason that you maybe have not mentioned, that you really have like a sort of push or want to get another card with the limit you got, and that you may go after it regardless.  I think Pikaboo gave you responsible information on how to handle it.  But if you go for it, best of luck to you!!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I dont believe you'll find another CU or bsnk as lenient with your scores as Navy. I would use the heck out of that 10k card and as tine goes by snd your scores go up, you'll get more and more credit by Navy and others.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.