cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal now allows honorably discharged Veterans to apply directly for membership

tag
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

Navy Federal now allows honorably discharged Veterans to apply directly for membership

Hi all,

In the past Veterans who were NOT annuitants (meaning those that did 20 plus years and retired) were not allowed to directly join NFCU.

Combat veterans like myself who were medically retired versus regular retired were not eligible to join directly once we had left the service.

I found out today this changed in 2017 sometime.

Veterans can directly join, according to the csr and "how to become a member" at NFCU's website which distinctly list Veterans as eligible.

They will ask for DD214's as proof.

I submitted my proofs again today, the csr re-activated my previous information so I just had to send in DD-214's again. They say 2 business days to process so I will wait until tuesday next week to check on the status.

I will update if there are any stumbling blocks

No more Navy League San Diego hoops for Veterans!!! yahoo!

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
18 REPLIES 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Navy Federal now allows honorably discharged Veterans to apply directly for membership

That is great news! I joined NLSD last summer but never got around to going through all of the hoops to actually submit my application. I will try ASAP before my new accounts ding my score a bit.
Message 2 of 19
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

Re: Navy Federal now allows honorably discharged Veterans to apply directly for membership

K

awesome, glad the new info will help someone.

The reason I actually called today was I had been jumping through those NLSD hoops and finally after 6 months got someone from membership services to actually call me.

The reason turned out to be is that their system, despite me selecting the SD Council, put in the 'unattached' category which does not allow membership to NFCU, only SD does.

Once I got that straightened out I called NFCU and first asked if they changed the rules allowing vets to join directly and the CSR said they had and then I looked at the website page i listed above and there it was at the bottom.

I will post any further roadblocks or successes, and I hope you will too.

Mike

Message 3 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on getting in and thanks for serving . GratefulSmiley Happy

When i joined recently, i did not have to send any proof of service,( though i do have it Smiley Happy ) was actually quite simple and fast. Very grateful for them allowing veterans to join. About timeSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 19
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

AverageJoe,

thanks.

no dd-214? were you still on AD or are you a 'normal' retiree? otherise how would they prove you are a vet? very interesting situation considering the run around us other vets have been given over the years.

Mike

Message 5 of 19
iowe
Regular Contributor

I just discovered this two weeks ago and joined the second that I noticed I was now eligible to sign up directly. It's about time. I wanted to join NFCU a year ago and I passed on it because I didn't want to go jumping through the hoops to get in.

2024 Goal: To finally be debt free
Message 6 of 19
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

iowe,

I totally understand not wanting to jump through the hoops, but once i started the process I was determined to see it through. If I hadn't I would never have found out that NFCU finally started doing right by veterans vis-a-vis direct membership access.

Message 7 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

nolamike thank you again very much for this. I'm in!
Message 8 of 19
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

K

your in? meaning your application has been approved for membership? if so that is awesome K just awesome...

Mike

Message 9 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hi Nola!

Id imagine with my social they could access my Navy records so all i did was put all my relevant info, service time served and im sure it checked out . Im not AD and was actually discharged by admin, not sure how to spell the full word lol, so though wasnt a honorable discharge, it wasnt negative. . If they ever need my dd214, its only a fax or email away lolSmiley Happy
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.