Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a new bank account, what say you?

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Need a new bank account, what say you?

I had a BofA checking and savings for years, then I opened a Citi checking strictly for drafting my tuition and car note and paying my Citi card with recurring charges. Then after an unexpected turn, I ended up having to close my BofA accounts, leaving me with Citi checking and CU savings. I can't make deposits to my Citi account as its out of state, and I can't make drafts out my savings. What's worse is I have family in Buffalo NY that frequently send money and BofA was the only bank I could do that with. So, I need a new bank where I can hold my checking and savings and keep my CU account as well. I would prefer it to be somewhere that is located in North Carolina as well as Buffalo. Any suggestions??
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Need a new bank account, what say you?

Are there any banks that have both branches in NC and Buffalo? I'm not really familiar with those areas so I'm not sure what's around there. Is it possible for your family to send you money via a check (all big banks have mobile check deposit in their apps so that could work; I just left a job where I got paid via paper check every week and Chase's mobile deposit app saved my life!)? Have you looked into getting a checkings account with your CU?

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 10
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I did, I'm thinking about only having savings and lending products with the CU and banking with a major bank. BofA was the only common bank in those 2 areas. Guess I'm SOL
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what you're saying about BofA and your family transferring money to your account that way, but why did you close it?  I have my checking/savings at BofA also and I send my kids money that way because it's instant and more convenient.  My dh has done work in Buffalo a few times and was there for two months every time he worked there.  I could ask him what banks he may have noticed that may also be around here.  I'm a state or two away from North Carolina.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why  is BoA the only bank your family can send transfers to? With PopMoney, Venmo, Paypal, etc they should be able to send money to any bank easily. Were they depositing cash? Does it need to be instant?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

PNC offers a free student account and is all electronic. It uses a service called Popmoney which your family can use to send you money. Chase has an option called QuickPay that your family can use to send you money too. For QuickPay all you need is an email. Best of luck!!!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe TD bank.  They are in Vermont where I live and in Florida where my parents live so there is a chance for buffalo and NC.

Message 7 of 10
icyhot
Valued Contributor

TD Bank is nowhere near me lol. My family was only sending cash and they are not technologically savvy so all the new age things aren't gonna be much of an option. I had to close my BofA account because they were going to keep taking money out my account if I didn't

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
TD Bank is nowhere near me lol. My family was only sending cash and they are not technologically savvy so all the new age things aren't gonna be much of an option. I had to close my BofA account because they were going to keep taking money out my account if I didn't

That's unfortunate. I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Message 9 of 10
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

You could do a Credit Union (Like NASA or DCU) that is apart of the CO-OP Shared Branch network... 

You can go into any CO-OP Shared Branch and its the 'home away from home'

https://co-opcreditunions.org/locator/

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.