Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice with debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need advice with debt

Yes this is the job that's giving me the pension. High School teacher in the southeast. Pay sucks, pension is pretty good. Plan is to get another full time gig on top of the pension in 3 years. Trying to get this under control until then.

Message 11 of 17
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes this is the job that's giving me the pension. High School teacher in the southeast. Pay sucks, pension is pretty good. Plan is to get another full time gig on top of the pension in 3 years. Trying to get this under control until then.

The nice thing about certain jobs like Uber and Lyft is you can do them for an hour or 6 hours. Not sure how prevalent it is in your area but its worth applying if it is. We do the scooter thing on the side. Made 8000 in 3 months. Not too bad as a "side gig".

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Small town so no Uber deal here. But I'm working on some home income (online) work coming up. 

Trying to find a card with a 0% balance to transfer some of the debt for a year. Not sure where to really look though.

Message 13 of 17
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Small town so no Uber deal here. But I'm working on some home income (online) work coming up. 

Trying to find a card with a 0% balance to transfer some of the debt for a year. Not sure where to really look though.

Given your score, companies like Discover, PenFed, and Chase may be your best depending on your previous profile history.

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stop using your cards, pay in cash and every penny should be going to cc debt. You shouldn’t be thinking of retiring for another 5 years, until you have this paid off
Message 15 of 17
SBR249
Established Contributor

As a teacher, you can look into private tutoring opportunities online or in person. There are platforms that can connect you with students across the country. If you are able, you can also look into test prep gigs if available. 

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry you're facing this. I work in healthcare (emergency medicine) and it is sad when I have patients who refuse my ambulance ride because they know they cannot pay the bill later.

I agree with the comment about online tutoring. I know here in Chicago we have services where teachers can teach English to Japanese students, all remotely. Hours can be weird with the time difference, but that way they are often getting a "shift differential" in addition to their regular pay. Maybe something to look into as well as the online tutoring? My mom was a community college professor for years and she used to remotely grade entrance exams for Pearson and other education based companies. Maybe look into that as well. It was temporary work and she almost always had to travel, BUT they covered hotel and food stipend, plus a decent pay for the two weeks or so she did it. 2-3 of those a year would net her some good cash. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.