Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Bank Account For Direct Deposit

tag
credit8502020
Established Contributor

New Bank Account For Direct Deposit

Hi,

I'm seriously considering switching my Direct Deposit & opening an account with SOFI. However, I could split my direct deposit into another bank as well. Ideally I'm looking for banks or credit unions that have great perks for having a direct deposit with them and that make it easy to transfer funds in and out of the account. 

Where would you put a new direct deposit to get the best perks? Ex. Credit Card Perks,Higher APY on savings, etc. Sign up bonus, etc.

***I'm excited about moving my DD and starting a new banking relationship. LOL!***

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: New Bank Account For Direct Deposit

@credit8502020 wrote:

Hi,

I'm seriously considering switching my Direct Deposit & opening an account with SOFI. However, I could split my direct deposit into another bank as well. Ideally I'm looking for banks or credit unions that have great perks for having a direct deposit with them and that make it easy to transfer funds in and out of the account. 

Where would you put a new direct deposit to get the best perks? Ex. Credit Card Perks,Higher APY on savings, etc. Sign up bonus, etc.

***I'm excited about moving my DD and starting a new banking relationship. LOL!***

I don't know of accounts that offer great perks for having direct deposit, other than signup bonuses. There are many checking accounts that offer perks if you have direct deposit AND use your debit card for a large number of purchases each month, but to me using one's debit card for purchases is anathema.

What I like is accounts that offer 2-day early direct deposit -- such as Langley, PenFed, Affinity FCU, Digital FCU, and Chartway

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 10
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@credit8502020 wrote:

Hi,

I don't know of accounts that offer great perks for having direct deposit, other than signup bonuses. There are many checking accounts that offer perks if you have direct deposit AND use your debit card for a large number of purchases each month, but to me using one's debit card for purchases is anathema.

What I like is accounts that offer 2-day early direct deposit -- such as Langley, PenFed, Affinity FCU, Digital FCU, and Chartway

@SouthJamaica Thank you. I'm glad you mentioned the accounts CUs that have a 2 day early direct deposit. I'm a member of 3 of the 5 CUs you mentioned. So I looked at those again because I typically like to see what else I can get at the institution and if they offer business products. 

I figured I'd outline some of the things that I looked at in case it helps someone else as well. 

1. Langley -  CB card (Good for me only if 5% Gas CB is not just promotional).

2. PenFed - I have PenFed and although, I'm not a fan of having to leave $500 in my checking to get the 2%, and not be able to get CLIs without a HP, I like having the relationship for possibly being able to get good rates with them in the future.

3. Affinity - Amazon 5% CB CC

4. Digital -  6.17% HYSA

5. Chartway - I'm not a card points fan unless it's for specific cards.  

Message 3 of 10
credit8502020
Established Contributor

I also forgot that with NFCU Cash Rewards you can get 1.75% instead of 1.5% if you have a direct deposit with them. It's not 2% but since I have the card, it would be nice to get it at the highest rate. 

Message 4 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@credit8502020 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@credit8502020 wrote:

Hi,

@SouthJamaica Thank you. I'm glad you mentioned the accounts CUs that have a 2 day early direct deposit. I'm a member of 3 of the 5 CUs you mentioned. So I looked at those again because I typically like to see what else I can get at the institution and if they offer business products. 

I figured I'd outline some of the things that I looked at in case it helps someone else as well. 

2. PenFed - I have PenFed and although, I'm not a fan of having to leave $500 in my checking to get the 2%, and not be able to get CLIs without a HP, I like having the relationship for possibly being able to get good rates with them in the future.

4. Digital -  6.17% HYSA

With PenFed you don't need to leave $500 in checking; you also get the enhanced CC cash back if you have direct deposits totalling $500 mo.

Message 5 of 10
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@credit8502020 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@credit8502020 wrote:

Hi,

4. Digital -  6.17% HYSA

With PenFed you don't need to leave $500 in checking; you also get the enhanced CC cash back if you have direct deposits totalling $500 mo.

@SouthJamaica Up to this point, I've had to leave the $500 in checking because I don't have the direct deposit with them. 

Message 6 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@credit8502020 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@credit8502020 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@credit8502020 wrote:

Hi,

4. Digital -  6.17% HYSA

@SouthJamaica Up to this point, I've had to leave the $500 in checking because I don't have the direct deposit with them. 

BTW even before I got the regular direct deposits, they were accepting ACH transfers from my own accounts as direct deposits.

Message 7 of 10
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@credit8502020 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@credit8502020 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@credit8502020 wrote:

Hi,

4. Digital -  6.17% HYSA

BTW even before I got the regular direct deposits, they were accepting ACH transfers from my own accounts as direct deposits.

@SouthJamaica Thank you. I appreciate you sharing that information. 

Message 8 of 10
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Just to let you know.

A lot of CU's put limits and strings attached to new accounts for the first few months.

Had one CU with strings for a year.

One or two phone deposits only, holds on money for extra time and ACH limits shrunk to

very low numbers.

I would split my direct deposit or be sure to find out all the limits, & strings before commitment.

Message 9 of 10
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

Just to let you know.

A lot of CU's put limits and strings attached to new accounts for the first few months.

Had one CU with strings for a year.

One or two phone deposits only, holds on money for extra time and ACH limits shrunk to

very low numbers.

I would split my direct deposit or be sure to find out all the limits, & strings before commitment.

@Kforce Great feedback. Thank you! 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.