Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the Board

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to the Board

Hello Everyone,

I have a concern and that is why I signed up for credit monitoring.  I recently received an email that requested my driver's license #and my SS#.  I thought it was coming from PayPal, but my brothers informed me that I was probably spoofed.  Any tips for moving forward?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to the Board

Welcome. 

did you provide this info??

Message 2 of 4
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Being proactive, I would recommend freezing your 3B if you did provide the information.

@CreditInspired wrote:

Freeze your credit with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion

Credit BureauOnlineBy phoneBy mail
How to freeze your credit with EquifaxVisitEquifax Credit Freeze page1-800-685-1111 (NY residents call 1-800-349-9960)Equifax Security Freeze, P.O. Box 105788 Atlanta, GA 30348
Visit: Experian Credit Freeze page1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742)Experian Security Freeze, P.O. Box 9554 Allen, TX 75013
How to freeze your credit with TransUnion Visit: TransUnion Credit Freeze page 1-888-909-8872TransUnion LLC, P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016

I found this on https://clark.com/credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/

Message 3 of 4
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have a concern and that is why I signed up for credit monitoring.  I recently received an email that requested my driver's license #and my SS#.  I thought it was coming from PayPal, but my brothers informed me that I was probably spoofed.  Any tips for moving forward?

If you provided the information or clicked on a link in the email, Freeze your credit reports and file a police report for starters. 

You should be able to check your PayPal account to see if they actually sent you an email. 

While I can't guarantee no bank will email you with a request for that information, banks usually make that request on their website when you first apply for an account or they send you a letter through the mail (United States Postal Service) with instructions on how to supply the documents securely. 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.