Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Step Advice!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next Step Advice!

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to educate myself more & create a financial map for the next year. I make $59,000 annually and my husband makes about $130,000. I was really adverse to what I perceived as debt until about 3 years (I was a pay-in-cash kind of person). My credit score is 728 on Credit Karma with a 99% on time payment rating, 3y 1 month average account age, 0 derogatory marks. I have $294 on an Apple Barclay card (crap card) out of $2500 balance. I have 3 open accounts according to Credit Karma--the Barclay card, $10k in auto loans and $49k in student loans. 2 hard inquiries in Jan & Feb 2019 (mortgage related).

We will be refinancing our property in December 2019 and I will be going onto the mortgage this time, so I want to make sure I'm not messing that up, but I think it's time to open up a better credit card. I keep hearing about the Chase Sapphire card and have been doing some research. What are my approval odds?

I was also considering the Amazon card as I'm a Prime member, Audible subscriber, and Kindle utilizer. I added up my transaction and actually only spend about $800 a year on Amazon.

My other biggest spending pattern is food; about $16,500-$17,000 a year with consistency. We are trying to cut this ridiculous number down! We spend about $5-$10k on travel per year, depending on the year. An increase of travel is in the future.

So: would you open a card, if you were me, considering the pending refinancing of a property in 6 months? Would you go take the chance on applying for  a Sapphire card? With my spending patterns, are there other cards I should consider?

Thank you,

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Next Step Advice!

Hello, and welcome!

If you're planning on a mortage in 2019, I would advise against opening any new accounts right now.

...but you've found the right web site to do some research on what card will fit you best AFTER the mortage!

Good luck!  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 6
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

It's worth stating: Ignore Credit Karma. The score they provide is a Vantage Score, not a FICO score and, lenders use FICO. Credit Karma is great for the reports but lousy for everything else. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

would you open a card, if you were me, considering the pending refinancing of a property in 6 months? 

I agree with 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spend almost $1500/mo on groceries. That doesn’t count what I spend on fast food and restaurants, which is significant. I guess I’m spending too much? We do have four kids though.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

An amendment to post #4 above - for the 6% cash back on groceries, you need the Amex Blue Cash Preferred. The Everyday is 3%.

At a $17,000 annual dining spend (if that’s all restaurants), that’s screaming for a CapOne Savor with 4% back on dining ($680 cash back per year at that level) or an Amex Gold for the 4x MR points per dollar on restaurant spend, which can be put toward your travel through their various redemption portals and transfer partners.

BUT, as the others have said, these are questions to answer after your refi, not before. But you can research them thoroughly on this forum in the meantime and lay out your app strategy for once your mortgage refi is completed.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.