Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nfcu membership through the mother of my child never married

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nfcu membership through the mother of my child never married

I'm curious my gf who I do not live with however we have a child together is becoming a member of nfcu, and she offered to sponsor me so I could join but i was curious I'd this would work.
I lived with her for 3 years under her parents roof we didnt have any Bill's or anything and since then I moved into my own place .would I be eligible to become a member for nfcu? Even though we dont currently reside together. Also dont know if it matters my daughter is 3 years old so I dont think I could apply for a account for her then apply from her account for me just looking for options
20 REPLIES 20
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Nfcu membership through the mother of my child never married

Under the membership guidelines I would think unfortunately no, since you do not reside in the same householdSmiley Sad

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 21
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@SFLSpotter9210 wrote:
I just became a member Monday. My wife is retired military actually active duty disabled. And she still has her maiden name due to ease of life. They never verified her or even asked her name. So I think you would be fine. Just out of curiosity who is prior military? Just contact them via phone and you should be fine. They do a SP for membership. And if you decide to apply for credit they used TU for CR pulls. Good luck.

You are a member through your wife, this OP "used to live" with somebody and no longer does big difference.

Just because they don't always verifiy, isn't a reason to abuse the itSmiley Sad

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 21
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Shady of me??

Most members of NCFU meet the eligibilty requirements, stating that they usually don't check anyway ummmmm  that's shady. Just because you can doesn't mean should.

NFCU membership is a "privilege " to be able to join through your own military service or a family member service, that I do take seriously.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I understand it's a privilege not denying that just trying to get info and see if that qualifies me, since I do have a child with her, and i heard something about being able to sign your kids up for penfed membership aswell so if i took that route could i get access through my daughters account
Message 5 of 21
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@NFCU wrote:
If you’re an existing member and a parent, grandparent or guardian, share the gift of membership with someone under 18 using our online minor membership application. Or, visit a branch or call us at 1-888-842-6328 to learn about opening a minor membership.

I'm not sure what the age minimum requirement is for membership. Best to call and ask.

Logic would seem this method; mother sponsors child -> child sponsors -> father

Message 6 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
So I understand it's a privilege not denying that just trying to get info and see if that qualifies me, since I do have a child with her, and i heard something about being able to sign your kids up for penfed membership aswell so if i took that route could i get access through my daughters account

Even if your daughter became a member, if she does not live with you, it's a moot point. 

Another thing, if you're talking about minor child "sponsoring" an adult, that's a recipe for disaster. 

While they may be too large to fact check each and every app, they are not stupid by any means. 

Message 7 of 21
AllZero
Mega Contributor

If success or failure, data points are always appreciated, in the event some tries this or has a question about it in the future. 😉
Message 8 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I will never  attempt to advise somebody in ways that can cause them financial harm for useless data points or entertainment purposes.  

Most, if not all posters wont Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 21
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

It states parents/grandparents/children/grandchildren/siblings/spouses. It doesn’t stipulate they have to live with you. Besides OP stated his grandfather was in the military. Doesn’t seem to me their too concerned about who is who. Cause if they were they’d be verifying everyone. In my opinion seems like they just want members and $$$$ deposited. (Mod snip - keep comments/replies under the FSR guidelines). 

NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 10,000 | Discover 17,000 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=757 | EX=760 | TU=771scores and CL current as of 08/22/22 AAoA years 6 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.