Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that apple pay and contact less payments are "the future"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Now that apple pay and contact less payments are "the future"

I probably won't use apple pay anytime soon, since I don't buy iphones. but I do use contactless card from dinersclub, I use it often at Sprouts.

Message 31 of 42
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@victor7 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

The other little hole in that future is, Apple Pay is currently only in the U.S. and global standards for payment (where you would be using the CSP) require a physical card, unless there is some localized version of Apple Pay in that country, and if there was, you would probably not be able to use it anyway.

I use Apple Pay in Europe all the time--literally every day.  In fact, I find far more places that I can use it there than in the US.  I use it in taxis, at the grocery store, clothing stores, etc.  I find it very conveninent and much more secure than a typical US credit card.

All you need is a standard credit card terminal that accepts contactless cards (the ones with the little wi-fi like symbol on them).

I cannot put my European credit cards into Apple Pay; I have to use my US cards (Amex, CSP, etc).  But you certainly don't require a local version of Apple Pay just to use it.

Thanks for this info. I do not have the iPhone 6 but use contactless payments in Europe all the time (on the cards) ..all terminals here are contactless ready but the card issuers are not yet Apple compatible. But the card issuers have the features directly on the card. I do not have a single European card which is not contactless ready.  I was not going to buy the iPhone 6 but knowing that ApplePay would work makes it more interesting now.  Still on the 4S Smiley Sad

Message 32 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg8302ch wrote:

@victor7 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

The other little hole in that future is, Apple Pay is currently only in the U.S. and global standards for payment (where you would be using the CSP) require a physical card, unless there is some localized version of Apple Pay in that country, and if there was, you would probably not be able to use it anyway.

I use Apple Pay in Europe all the time--literally every day.  In fact, I find far more places that I can use it there than in the US.  I use it in taxis, at the grocery store, clothing stores, etc.  I find it very conveninent and much more secure than a typical US credit card.

All you need is a standard credit card terminal that accepts contactless cards (the ones with the little wi-fi like symbol on them).

I cannot put my European credit cards into Apple Pay; I have to use my US cards (Amex, CSP, etc).  But you certainly don't require a local version of Apple Pay just to use it.

Thanks for this info. I do not have the iPhone 6 but use contactless payments in Europe all the time (on the cards) ..all terminals here are contactless ready but the card issuers are not yet Apple compatible. But the card issuers have the features directly on the card. I do not have a single European card which is not contactless ready.  I was not going to buy the iPhone 6 but knowing that ApplePay would work makes it more interesting now.  Still on the 4S Smiley Sad

should've applied for Diners Smiley LOL

Message 33 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am more than happy to adapt to other payment mechanisms. I seek new credit cards for sign-on bonuses, consistent rewards, or perks. Whether a card is metal or not matters little to me. In fact I prefer regular plastic cards to the heavier metal variety. A consolidated payment mechanism like Apple Pay would work great for me if it becomes mainstream. Rather than choosing 6 cards to carry at any given time, I can carry all my cards with me at once on my phone and pick the perfect card to pay with. Granted most of my cards suck after the bonus and I would likely use the same 4-5 cards on 95% of all transactions, but still I would love seeing more NFC based (or other such) payment methods becoming more mainstream. I would still carry a few cards in my wallet though since my phone does sometimes run out of charge despite my having a charger at work, in my car, and two at home (computer and wall socket). 

Message 34 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW Google Wallet is the equivalent to Apple Pay on Android, for those who don't want to buy an iPhone.

Seriously though, I almost think that chip and signature won't be a big enough hassle to get people to start using NFC instead. And swiping is definitely not enough of a hassle to switch over. However, since we likely will never get chip and PIN in the US Apple Pay does provide the level of security that PIN would have provided without making things overly complicated. In any case it will probably be close to a decade before NFC is used as much here as it currently is elsewhere.

Message 35 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's only because the Europeans are 30 years ahead of us on credit card security and technology. 

Message 36 of 42
negg
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For the ones saying it's not secure. That's a joke. Read more about it. And I've never had one issue of it not taking my thumb print. Maybe you need to adjust your settings for the Touch ID in general. It's been flawless every time.

What settings ?? There are none for what you are speaking of. I have both thumbs and an index finger programmed, no issues with unlocking my phone for use.  But the finger print for apple pay has worked once.  

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 37 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a basically (from what I've seen) worthless physical card from Google. All it does is run transactions through Google Wallet to whatever card you set as default on your account. Or just pull it up on the app and use whatever card you want that is attached to the account. I find it easier to just bring whatever card I want to use instead lol. 

Message 38 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@negg wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For the ones saying it's not secure. That's a joke. Read more about it. And I've never had one issue of it not taking my thumb print. Maybe you need to adjust your settings for the Touch ID in general. It's been flawless every time.

What settings ?? There are none for what you are speaking of. I have both thumbs and an index finger programmed, no issues with unlocking my phone for use.  But the finger print for apple pay has worked once.

Once you add a card to Apple Pay, all you have to do is hold your phone with your finger on Touch ID up to the reader. The sensor will work the same way as when you unlock your phone. I have never had an issue. Look in Settings>Passbook and Apple Pay. If everything is set up there and you are using it with an NFC enabled terminal it will work perfectly.

Message 39 of 42
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I don't see Apple Pay taking off any time soon. I personally have an iPhone 5, so couldn't use it anyway. But even if I had an iPhone 6/6 Plus, I've tried to use my ExpressPay equipped AMEX and PayPass equipped MasterCard at several places, and many places who have the hardware have turned it off. Before CurrentC (a dreadful mobile payment system that wants all of your personal information (SSN, Driver's License number, and direct access to your checking account) and makes you scan a QR code to pay) made Rite-Aid, Walmart, 7-11, and CVS (among others) sign an agreement to not accept NFC payments (ExpressPay, PayPass, Google Wallet, ApplePay, etc), I found ExpressPay/PayPass to be very convenient. I hope these places will wake up one day and give customers what they want rather than trying to save a buck forcing a craptastic payment system (CurrentC) down users throats, everyone would come out ahead. But hey, what do I know?

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.