cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening Chase Checking accounts online -- PO Box address error?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opening Chase Checking accounts online -- PO Box address error?

So today I called Chase to sort out why it gave me a P.O. Box error when trying to open a Checking account online; She told me that they no longer allow them to be opened online, that it has to be in branch. so sad, wanted me a $200 SUB.

Also was going to open my first Business checking account. 

Don't care much for WF, but they're the next best in SUBs. And at least they have local Branches, where Chase does not. Or perhaps US Bank, gonna have to decide wich on is the lesser evil.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase no longer allows Checking accounts to be opened online.

Same issue here. I got an error trying to sign up but haven't had time to visit a branch (which is why I try to bank on-line only)
Message 2 of 17
LakeLife
Established Contributor

I literally just did this (open a Chase Checking/Savings online) a couple of months ago.  Did they change their policy?  Maybe it's because I've had CCs with them since 2001.  

Message 3 of 17
DapprD
Regular Contributor

I just tried ... i'm in Florida, and it works for me.

Starting Score: 567
Current Score: 739
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe becauase you have local branches?

I literally just tried again, even entered info as if new customer. Took me to a screen that said "looks like you a Chase customer" sign in to continue with pre-filled info. Then got hit with the PO Box error again. 

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So today I called Chase to sort out why it gave me a P.O. Box error when trying to open a Checking account online; She told me that they no longer allow them to be opened online, that it has to be in branch. so sad, wanted me a $200 SUB.

Also was going to open my first Business checking account. 

Don't care much for WF, but they're the next best in SUBs. And at least they have local Branches, where Chase does not. Or perhaps US Bank, gonna have to decide wich on is the lesser evil.

What is a PO Box error?

Doctor of Credit has a big thread on the $600 Chase SUB and lot of people are still reporting no problem opening savings and checking accounts online.

I wonder if that Chase rep was misinformed?

I opened my Chase savings and checking a few months ago online without a problem.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The error is specific to opening an account using a PO Box as your main address when trying to open an account on line. .

mods should change this thread title. 

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. I was not using a P.O. box and still got the error. It kept defaulting.
Message 8 of 17
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

People with PO BOX for addresses have difficulty because sometimes the address gets switched in the lenders computer data bases.  If your billing address is a PO BOX, that could be the issue.  Call the lender and ask them to delete the PO BOX from their system, and put your physical address in the billing address section so both addresses they have on file match. 

I tried it just for giggles as I also have a PO BOX for billing and Im a Chase CC holder, but my physical address is on file with them, and Im having the same issue as you.  Its your PO BOX thats causing the issue. You obviously cant open a CC or an account using just a PO BOX.  

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 10.47.10 AM.png

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have a P.O. box.
I have a physical address only and still got the error.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.