Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on Alliant CU?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opinions on Alliant CU?

Hi all!

I've been eyeballing Alliant for a while for their checking, savings and the cashback card. I have pretty solid FICO 8 scores (EQ 785, TU 782, EX 771) and a good income.

I've seen a few review threads here that seem generally positive, but elsewhere reviews seem split between abysmal-bordering-on-scam and absolutely glowing.

I took a risk two days ago and opened a savings account with them - that was frozen in less that 24 hours pending proof of identity (which I've now provided). I'm waiting on an un-freeze.

Do you guys have any insight to offer? Have I made a mistake with the savings account?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Re: Opinions on Alliant CU?

*turns on glowing light with a faint click...*

Been with them for not quite a year now. Started with an SSL (thank you CGID!) and opened a checking account soon after. The SSL helped my middle mortgage score jump over 760 and in April this year we bought a home. Ten days after the house closed, I applied for and was approved for the Alliant Visa Sig for 10k. As soon as my mortgage reported on all three CB's I paid off the SSL.

I've never once had any issues with Alliant. Customer support has always been friendly and appreciative that I've chosen to do business with them. My primary banking is still with Ally due to the ease of use and layout of their webpage but I'll keep my secondary banking relationship with Alliant alive and ticking simply because I'll always value what they did in helping my credit score (via the SSL) 

In reading the posts here and in other forums, Identity verification freezing seems to be more common than in the past?  Not sure if there's any validity to my observation but it seems that way to me.

Hope your experience with Alliant ends up as positive as mine has been.  Smiley Happy   

Message 2 of 10
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Savings and Checking are great with Alliant. Depending on your income and how much credit you already have will determine if anything else fits.
Their ACH transfers are lightning fast!
Some one else can comment on the CCs. They can be conservative on the lending side.
Their pre-approved emails are worthless, just a fair warning.
I use them for the shared secured loan they use to offer. Decided my pennies were a better fit deposited else where.

I place Penfed, Navy Fed and State department FCU better at being proactive with their members.
You'll find some CUs are like a bump on the log. While others are more consistent with offering members their products.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently opened an Alliant savings account due to the nothing but positive feedback I read on these forums. The freezing is normal, along with sending a utility bill (if they ask) to confirm identity. After you get passed the identity verification, which is actually less painful than it seems, it's smooth sailing. 

Their customer service is awesome, and as someone else mentioned, their transfers are really fast. Their rates aren't too shabby either (not saying that there aren't higher elsewhere).

As of now, I am very satisfied Alliant member Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually moved my primary checking to Alliant. Also have a savings with them but I use that as a secondary savings account. Tried the SSL trick with them and that boosted my scores. Its been about 9mths since I've been with them and I have no complaints. Verification is pretty much part of the process. Had to send them some documents and everything was good to go once I did.

Message 5 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all!

I've been eyeballing Alliant for a while for their checking, savings and the cashback card. I have pretty solid FICO 8 scores (EQ 785, TU 782, EX 771) and a good income.

I've seen a few review threads here that seem generally positive, but elsewhere reviews seem split between abysmal-bordering-on-scam and absolutely glowing.

I took a risk two days ago and opened a savings account with them - that was frozen in less that 24 hours pending proof of identity (which I've now provided). I'm waiting on an un-freeze.

Do you guys have any insight to offer? Have I made a mistake with the savings account?

Thanks!

They have good products and good online services available, but I find them a little stiff.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 10
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I use them as my primary checking and savings account. I don't really need to goto a branch so if thats not important I think alliant is really good.  I especially like they actually have .65% on checking which i never got from wf chase or any of those types. Just warning they do HP i believe on checking account. I think there checking, savings, and cds have very competitive rates to most of the online banks. Another small little feature i like about their checking account is reimbursement from out of network atms.

As far as CC i have never opened one of them since they are "cashback" i am more of a travel rewards guy when it comes to credit cards , so i can't really comment on if they are good or not.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I got in with Alliant more than a year ago. Opened a CC with them. They gave me a 15k starting limit with scores around 700 at that time.

I actually just called in 2 weeks back to request a CLI. It was a hard pull, and to my understanding, all CLI requests are HP's. It was approved and they bumped me to 25k and gave me an APR reduction without me even asking. Fyi, they did ask proof of income after giving me the approval.

All in all, never had any issues with them.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 10
creditfan
Established Contributor

does anyone fell weird about their website? I did when I was first become a member. Lack of consistent,

main page is http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/

secure login page is http://www.alliantcreditunion.com

*confuse*

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU had that effect on me when I first saw it. I can't explan it but for some reason it screamed "scam" and open an account so we can take all of your money, personal information, crush your spirit and then head off into the sunset.

For Alliant, I think once you click around you become comfortable with it (it didnt bother me). I will say that CUs usually have very concise websites and services which makes sense due to their nature and comparison to big banks. The good news is there are a lot of different CUs out there, so if Alliant doesn't make you feel comfortable, you have a long list of other options to choose from Smiley Happy

Good luck!

@creditfan wrote:

does anyone fell weird about their website? I did when I was first become a member. Lack of consistent,

main page is http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/

secure login page is http://www.alliantcreditunion.com

*confuse*

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.