Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on non used Credit Union

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Opinions on non used Credit Union

Derogs and new accounts. I lose on average 30 points for new accounts on good ole neurotic 2s

Totally salty about it 

Message 11 of 46
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ill tell ya, sincerely, i regert, yes regert closing my Chase Amazon card too early, i let the cli gremlins eat my eardrum and closing out my Penfed instead of just letting them sit. Lol i rejoined Penfed just in case but holy batheck now they are using my Moms maiden name instead of my Dads so its going to be heck trying to get that changed, heaven forbid if i ever get a cc with them. Ive received more mailers these past 3 weeks then my whole 3 years with them. Today came a mailer for a savings account with my name Average Joe DebitSmiley Wink
Message 12 of 46
calyx
Super Contributor

I'm in the 'keep it open' camp.
I opened up an account with a coveted (and very conservative) CU here in NC, and even though I've never used their products, I know that they're always there "just in case."

I have four CU memberships now, and don't use (nor immediately plan to use) 2 of them, but want them there in case I decide to change my mind.   I also keep ~1k in each as a kind of emergency fund (not my main emergency fund, and one of them has low rates, so I don't want to keep that much savings there).  Whatever works for you!

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 13 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

This thread changed my mind. I was about to shut down a few CU accounts I no longer use.

Message 14 of 46
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

I see no reason for kicking any to the curb unless they have some unCUlike savings balance requirement.  The checking accounts are easy enough to keep happy with a $10 or $25 ACH that travels around from one to the next once in a while.  That said, I have one here in IL that is completely useless that I might boot.  

For those around IL, you might look into Andigo (SP to Join).  They are being taken over by Consumers CU soon.  Currently they, CCU, requires a HP so you can skirt in now through Andigo.  Consumers issues their own cards so the combined entity may become better than the two current parts.  Only takes a SP and a bit of time to find out.  If not, you have another long term $5 savings account for your heirs to split up.  Smiley Happy

Edited first sentence...

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 15 of 46
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thanks @calyx Smiley Happy

Its good to get feedback whether pos or neg. I recently opened a Citi Savings if only to have access to possible loan options in future. I think if i make 0/24, i may test the water with PSECU on a low apr card. For now my Langley Visa Select is sub 9% againSmiley Happy
Message 16 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Typically I think these Banks/Lenders want to see more than a $5 daily balance before offering premium credit card products, no?

As long as it aint costing you, no harm in keeping said accounts open. You may indeed need them one day, if a current FI stops working for you. I have 2 CU's a local one and NFCU. And have a cc with each intitution. I have 2 National Banks, one that used to be local BOA, and Chase.

Past Checking account institutions were 1st Interstate as a kid/teen, they went bye bye and became Klammath bank and then WF. Finally had enough of WF's BS and closed it. Had a brief romance with USB as a very young adult and it went bad. Went to BoA been there for many moons, until recently when Chase paid me to open an account. Also got paid by Discover to open a Savings. 

So iIguess in the final analysis I've had several accounts over the years, more than I thought. 

Message 17 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Typically I think these Banks/Lenders want to see more than a $5 daily balance before offering premium credit card products, no?

As long as it aint costing you, no harm in keeping said accounts open. You may indeed need them one day, if a current FI stops working for you. I have 2 CU's a local one and NFCU. And have a cc with each intitution. I have 2 National Banks, one that used to be local BOA, and Chase.

Past Checking account institutions were 1st Interstate as a kid/teen, they went bye bye and became Klammath bank and then WF. Finally had enough of WF's BS and closed it. Had a brief romance with USB as a very young adult and it went bad. Went to BoA been there for many moons, until recently when Chase paid me to open an account. Also got paid by Discover to open a Savings. 

So iIguess in the final analysis I've had several accounts over the years, more than I thought. 

Most CUs don't care so much that you have a lot of money in their accounts but rather that you aren't just trying to hit and run them for a credit card. Having a savings with them for 6 months or a year could easily translate to being offered a card. 

Message 18 of 46
tcbofade
Super Contributor

I'm also in the keep it open camp...

Your favorite credit union  Smiley Wink denied me for a credit card when I opened my savings account... it was more than a year before the offers started showing up... but they did!

Now I've got a personal loan and two credit cards with that one.

Three credit cards and a mortgage with another.

One credit card and a car loan with a third.

...and I'm a member of a fourth that hasn't developed into anything yet... but I believe it will.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 19 of 46
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol @tcbofade. my fav surely does play hard to get. I made myself a "Promise", they wont get any more hps for at least 2 years. They are in Time OutSmiley Wink
Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.