Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PNC Bank 1099-INT Question after earning promotional reward

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PNC Bank 1099-INT Question after earning promotional reward

I opened a PNC Virtual Wallet account and earned $200 in promotional credit. When I talked to a CSR over the phone, they are saying that I won't be receiving any 1099-INT for the promotional reward. If I would have earned above $10 in interest income from the account, then only I would be getting 1099-INT. I don't have any income based on the account. 

Has anyone faced a similar situation with them before? I'm waiting for the 1099-INT to receive so that I can file my taxes. However, I haven't received a satisfactory response from them. All other banks in the past where I earned promotion/new account bonus have given me 1099-INT. 

I have got their Tax-ID number as I will plan on reporting this income if they don't send me any 1099-INT in few days.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PNC Bank 1099-INT Question after earning promotional reward

It's true that they will not send you a 1099-INT. Went for the bonus last yr. I specifically asked a phone rep if they will notify the IRS and she said no. So I didn't report it.

Message 2 of 5
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

I didn't get a 1099 from PNC either for a checking account bonus, I still went ahead and reported the bonus on my income taxes though.

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Filed-September 2020 Discharged-December 2020
Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Capital One Auto Loan (Opened March 2021)
Capital One Cabela's $5000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
America First Credit Union Visa $1000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
Capital One SavorOne $5000 Limit (Opened September 2022)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Idaho Central Credit Union ICCU Visa $10,000 Limit (Opened April 2023)
Message 3 of 5
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

general rule of thumb - not a 100% absolute rule, but close to it: 

If the bonus is tied you spending money, like a typical credit card signup bonus or promotional offer (spend at least X, get back Y), it is not taxable and you do not report them as income.

if the bonus is tied to you depositing money,  like those tied to opening a savings/checking account and depositing a mininum amount within 90 days, it must be reported as it is considered taxable income.   Failure of the bank to provide you with a 1099 form is not a defense against your failure to report the bonus as income.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 5
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

@coldfusion wrote: Failure of the bank to provide you with a 1099 form is not a defense against your failure to report the bonus as income.

Yep absolutely 100% I keep track of all my bank bonuses each year and report them all whether I receive a 1099-INT form or not. I'd much rather be safe then sorry, and i'd much rather avoid any and all complications with the IRS.

And for what it's worth it does say in the fine print on PNC's website right on the bonus page

The value of the reward may be reported on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 1099, and may be considered taxable income to you. Please consult your tax adviser regarding your specific situation. 

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Filed-September 2020 Discharged-December 2020
Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Capital One Auto Loan (Opened March 2021)
Capital One Cabela's $5000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
America First Credit Union Visa $1000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
Capital One SavorOne $5000 Limit (Opened September 2022)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Idaho Central Credit Union ICCU Visa $10,000 Limit (Opened April 2023)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.