Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patelco membership DENIED…..

tag
Janneman
Established Contributor

Patelco membership DENIED…..

Two weeks ago I checked their pre-approval tool to see if I am qualified for their credit card or not...and if I do then for how much SL...It came back that I am qualified for $23k SL on one of their credit cards...I didnt accept the offer because I wanted to be their member first. This CU is located in Northern California but their membership is very easy to obtain, and not geo-restrictive, and anyone can join thru Financial Fitness Association.. They even pay for the fee for a year's membership with FFA. So, I applied for the membership...a few hours later I got an email from them stating that my membership application was conditionally approved until I send them the documents they are requesting. They pretty much asked for the copy of my DL and SS card, and a selfie holding DL, and to send them the application for the membership with FFA...I submitted everything right away.

Next day got an email saying that my application got denied for- My identity was not verified REMOTELY. I called them and asked them what was that all about or if they need any other document/information then I am willing to provide. But manager said- its just the typical response from their system whenever someone's DL is not from CA...He also stated that there is nothing to worry about...and that I need to have a virtual meeting with one of their bankers next day...I then had the virtual meeting on zoom...the lady on virtual appointment only asked to show her my ID right in front of my face and then she asked why I wanna join this CU when I live in East Coast...I answered her everything and my reasoning why I want to join this CU...She also asked me as to how I learned about them to which I answered from this site-Myficco...

After that she said that everything seems good and that I would hear out from them after the Thanksgiving...but when I didnt hear from them until yesterday...6 days later of Thanksgiving, I called them yesterday evening and I was told that my application was reviewed and they still denied it. I asked-why...The lady over the phone couldn't answer me on why but said that she could make another virtual appointment so that banker could give answer to all my questions and can help me at the same time to sort out any problem that is preventing my application from getting approved and be able to approve my application.

Today I had the virtual appointment but agent didnt even ask me to open my camera nor he asked any question except informed me only one thing that the back office (fraud dept) has reviewed my application and decided to still decline it. They want me to go to any of their branches in Northern CA with the ID if I wanna become their member. He didn't want to discuss anything further. So, I called them again and spoke with another rep. as I was hoping to speak with a supervisor/manager but this rep. told me that my DL wasn't even verified and that it doesnt seem to be from the state it was issued from....I said-what???? They are full of ........Making all kinds of excuses...

Has anyone ever experienced this kinda dilemma, regardless of being in the same state or from outside of their state? What should I do now? How to tackle this issue? Thanks 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Patelco membership DENIED…..

@Janneman wrote:

Two weeks ago I checked their pre-approval tool to check if I am qualified for their credit card or not...and if I do qualified then for how much SL...It came back that I am qualified for $23k SL on one of their credit cards...I didnt accept the offer because I wanted to be their member first. The CU is located in Northern California but their membership is very easy and not geo-restrictive, and anyone can join thru Financial Fitness Association.. They even pay for fee for a year's membership with FFA. So, I applied for the membership...a few hours later I got an email from them stating that my membership application was conditionally approved until I send them the documents they are requesting. They pretty much asked for copy of my DL and SS cad, and a selfie holding DL and send the application for the membership with FFA...I submitted everything right away.

Next day got an email saying that my application got denied for- My identity was not verified REMOTELY. I called them and ask them what is all about or if they need any other documents/information then I am willing to provide. But manager said- its just the typical system response when your DL is not from CA...He also stated that there is nothing to worry about...and that I need to have a virtual meeting with one of their bankers next day...I then had virtual meeting on zoom...the lady on virtual appointment just ask to show my ID right in front of my face and then she asked why I wanna join this CU when I live in East Coast...I answered her everything...After that she said that everything seems good and that I would hear out from them after Thanksgiving...but when I didnt hear from them, I called them yesterday evening and I was told that my application was reviewed and they still denied. I asked-why...The lady over the phone couldn't answer me on that but said that she could make another virtual appointment so that banker could give answer to my all questions and can help to sort out any problem and be able to approve my application.

Today I had the virtual appointment but agent didnt even ask me to open my camera nor he asked any question except just told me one thing that the back office (fraud dept) has reviewed my application and decided to decline my application. They want me to go to any of their branches with the ID if I wanna become their member. He didn't want to discuss anything further. So, I called them again and spoke with another rep. as I was hoping to speak with a supervisor/manager but this rep. told me that my DL wasn't even verified and that it doesnt seem to be from the state it was issued from....I said-what???? They are full of ........Making all kinds of excuses...

Has anyone ever experienced this kinda dilemma, regardless of being in the same state or from outside of their state to a local or far away CU? What should I do now? How to tackle this issue? Thanks 

Yeah I've been turned down by out of state credit unions for membership because they said they couldn't verify my identity.  Usually I don't even bother following up. I figure it's better that I not go forward, because if it's this hard to open a savings account with them, it will probably be worse if I ever actually need anything from them.

I just recently had a situation where a credit union, after approving my membership, froze my account.  They then wanted a Zoom meeting to verify my identity and ask me a few questions. Just like in your case. I felt like withdrawing my application, but instead did the Zoom thing. Eventually I passed muster Smiley Happy 

Like you, I had to hold my drivers license up next to my face Smiley Happy It was the first time I'd ever heard of a Zoom meeting for opening a bank account.  Yours is the second.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 2 of 15
Janneman
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica  

Thanks...Which CU was that...wanted to zoom meeting after establishing the membership? Just curious...

Message 3 of 15
Janneman
Established Contributor

More I learn or deal with credit unions, more it amazes me....they all act very strange and differently....Sometimes I feel, I am better off dealing only with banks...big ones...too much drama with all these CUs...could you imagine- taking selfish holding DL to our face like having taken mug shot upon criminally charge of...AOD also requires it....and then all kinda bs responses- "couldn't verify identity" !!!! ...I mean, they are not even accepting my state issued DL...I am living at same house for 35 yrs and they are saying that they couldn't verify my identity..!!!! DL (front and back) , SS card (front and back), utility bill are not enough for them, I guess...You don't deal with these bs with banks especially big ones...

Message 4 of 15
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

I was a member of Patelco for 15 years before my BK, and had two CCs with them. I found Patelco a little strange to deal with. Nothing I can put my finger on...just not someplace I want to go back to.

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 1.5K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 5 of 15
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I would just move on . You have more patience than I . I would have stopped before the zoom meeting . There are plenty of CUs out there .

And by the way their preapproval for credit cards is less then reliable . Personal experience.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Janneman

Holding your DL up by your face reminds me of checking into prison where they photo you and have your number in the picture.

In reading around I have to agree with other posters ... you may be better off moving on? Smiley Sad
Message 7 of 15
Janneman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Janneman

Holding your DL up by your face reminds me of checking into prison where they photo you and have your number in the picture.

In reading around I have to agree with other posters ... you may be better off moving on? Smiley Sad

I personally dont mind taking the mugshot of myself with DL even though I would feel as if Im charged for a crime but I dont feel comfortable dealing with a FI that plays games and BS us...They had set up a virtual meeting twice but just to tell me that my DL doesnt seem to be issued from the State where I live in or where it was issued from...This means they are saying that my DL is fake even though I have that DL for the last 34 yrs and from the same State and lived for 34 yrs at same address....

When they have no reason to decline my membership application, they came up with a fancy reasoning to deny my application. So, you are right that I am better off moving on...

Message 8 of 15
OmarR
Established Contributor

Out of curiousity, which CC were you looking at?  Because all of their cards seem to be sub-par, at least to me.

Just my opinion.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 9 of 15
Rekyrts
Valued Member

I remember them getting into a tizzy a while back because *gasp* my email address didn't match my real name perfectly. 

I seriously thought it was a joke. 

I respect any financial institution's right to perform due diligence, but we are in the 21st century. Get a modem, dial into the internet and see how other banks are doing it.

Walk away OP. Walk fast.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.