cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal friends and family no longer instant!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PayPal friends and family no longer instant!?

So I have used PayPal friends and family for a long time now to pay my rent but today I was greeted with this at the confirmation screen. 

9517DC87-AF68-461D-8E79-2D10EA05B6FE.jpeg

March 5th?!? It’s the same checking account I’ve ALWAYS used to draft from that sent the payment instantly. 

This really puts a wrench in my plans. I’ll have to stay with my current bank instead of switching to DCU like I planned because I’ll have to pay my rent with Zelle now (DCU’s People Pay has a limit of like $400 a day). 

Has anyone else noticed this change? It’s a good thing I noticed it before I confirmed the payment or this would have caused a huge problem for me. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PayPal friends and family no longer instant!?

Called PayPal. They said that they randomly decide to front the money while waiting for the bank to reimburse them and there’s nothing they can do to expedite it. When I pointed out my bank sends them EFT the next day they said it still wouldn’t get paid til the 5th. 

**bleep** PayPal. 

Message 2 of 9
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I have used PayPal friends and family for a long time now to pay my rent but today I was greeted with this at the confirmation screen. 

9517DC87-AF68-461D-8E79-2D10EA05B6FE.jpeg

March 5th?!? It’s the same checking account I’ve ALWAYS used to draft from that sent the payment instantly. 

This really puts a wrench in my plans. I’ll have to stay with my current bank instead of switching to DCU like I planned because I’ll have to pay my rent with Zelle now (DCU’s People Pay has a limit of like $400 a day). 

Has anyone else noticed this change? It’s a good thing I noticed it before I confirmed the payment or this would have caused a huge problem for me. 

I have a DCU account and I've sent/received money to/from it with Zelle.

Message 3 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Called PayPal. They said that they randomly decide to front the money while waiting for the bank to reimburse them and there’s nothing they can do to expedite it. When I pointed out my bank sends them EFT the next day they said it still wouldn’t get paid til the 5th. 

**bleep** PayPal. 

You got a live person at PayPal???? Smiley Surprised I didn't think they had live people at PayPal. Smiley Wink

I've had a PayPal account for ages but never heard of "friends and family". I never use PayPal services for moving money, too slow and usually a fee, I push to or pull from using other services. But if you're paying rent can't you use and old fashioned check?

@icedAre you sure you aren't confusing DCU with another bank? I don't see Zelle anywhere on DCU, they use a service called People Pay which I've never tried.

Message 4 of 9
iced
Valued Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

**bleep** PayPal. 

You got a live person at PayPal???? Smiley Surprised I didn't think they had live people at PayPal. Smiley Wink

I've had a PayPal account for ages but never heard of "friends and family". I never use PayPal services for moving money, too slow and usually a fee, I push to or pull from using other services. But if you're paying rent can't you use and old fashioned check?

@icedAre you sure you aren't confusing DCU with another bank? I don't see Zelle anywhere on DCU, they use a service called People Pay which I've never tried.

I linked my DCU debit card to Zelle. Works like a charm.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

**bleep** PayPal. 

Yeah PayPal has phone reps. They’re awful but they have them. I had to deal with them when a friend of mine sent me money, I transferred it to my bank, and he disputed the transaction and they froze my account back in 2010. 

Friends and Family allows you to send money with no fee but without the PayPal buyer protection. I have used it for months now with no problem. 

As for paying the rent with a check, it’s not that easy. I send my rent to my roommate and then she Chase Pays (Zelles) the landlord directly so if I were to give her a check, they would have to wait for it to clear. I don’t know Chase’s check clearing time but 1stBank gives me $0 of a mobile deposit until they process the check. 

I will just use Zelle from now on. That went through instantly. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

**bleep** PayPal. 

Huh, I wasn’t aware of the debit card option until I looked it up just now. So you use the Zelle app and it draws from your debit and deposits to your debit as well? And this is instant just like the checking account?

If that’s the case, I might have to do more looking because DCU not participating in Zelle is actually a positive for me since banks and CUs that use Zelle send EWS every single EFT coming and going from your account.....

Message 7 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

Huh, I wasn’t aware of the debit card option until I looked it up just now. So you use the Zelle app and it draws from your debit and deposits to your debit as well? And this is instant just like the checking account?

If that’s the case, I might have to do more looking because DCU not participating in Zelle is actually a positive for me since banks and CUs that use Zelle send EWS every single EFT coming and going from your account.....

I've never used Zelle as none of the banks or CUs I bank with have, I'm not a fan of EWS either, @iced can provide more info on Zelle. I use Google Pay, you have your account loaded with the debit card you want the funds to come from and send it to an email address you want the funds to go to, that person would need to have their Google Pay account loaded with the debit card they want the funds to go to. But I use it to move money between my accounts with 2 Google accounts, which means 2 gmail accounts. As I said, I don't use PayPal transfer services as they're slow and fee happy. So I empty out my PP cash balance from PP Debit and PP Cashback MC rewards with Google Pay. Account 1 is loaded with my PP Debit card and I send the funds to my account 2email  which is loaded with the debit card from the account I want the funds to got to. I'm going to do that this afternoon, sadly the last month for PP Debit rewards because without PP 2% MC as backup I won't do $100/mo. to get PP Debit rewards.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It took some wrangling but I got Zelle setup with DCU. 

Its really handy having a Google Voice number. 

NFCU forces me to use both my email address and phone number for Zelle registration with them so that takes out my primary cell number and secondary Gmail, 1stBank is using my primary Gmail, Zelle stand-alone is now using my Google Voice number. I can instantly send and receive among all of my accounts now. 😂 

I got my PayPal Business Debit last month so I got my $1 cash back today but I’m a bit salty about it going away as an option (although I still haven’t received any notification of such, I’m wondering if I even will). 

But yes, now that DCU has Zelle linked to it and I have a chance to get my direct deposit and all other electronic transactions away from the prying eyes of EWS, I will likely move to DCU and just use the Zelle app to instantly send and receive money using my debit card. 

I also had to deal with Zelle customer service because my card kept getting kicked and they were very friendly and as helpful as could be (but in the end, it was a DCU issue and they also were very quick to fix the problem, apparently there is some issue when the card gets printed that doesn’t link your address or something lol) so definitely would rather use them than PayPal anyway and no hold time with them either. 

The only reason we use Zelle is because our landlord likes it. She doesn’t have to wait for my checks to clear her bank to pay her mortgage. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.