Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off mortgage vs more retirement savings

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off mortgage vs more retirement savings

Here's my situation. I'm 41 with very little retirement savings (60k). I'm currently putting about 30k per year in my 401k and am planning to also start working on an emergency fund.

I bought a house in December. Preparing to buy the home prevented me from putting more in savings and retirement. But now I have bonuses, stock awards, annual raises that I don't need to use for anything.

My original plan was to increase my 401k every year by the amount of my annual raise (usually around 3%). Get 50k in an emergency fund and then start building investments. 

But I have a large mortgage and I'm wondering if I should try to pay that off in 15 yrs while maintaining current retirement savings levels instead. I could still sock away a decent emergency fund too. Owning my home outright at 56 would open up a lot of options since I have in a very high COL area now.

What's the right move here?

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying off mortgage vs more retirement savings

I'd go for the retirement fund since you can get a higher return from the markets if you hold your assets for the long-term (ignoring the current volatility) than your mortgage rate. 

Message 2 of 31
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's my situation. I'm 41 with very little retirement savings (60k). I'm currently putting about 30k per year in my 401k and am planning to also start working on an emergency fund.

I bought a house in December. Preparing to buy the home prevented me from putting more in savings and retirement. But now I have bonuses, stock awards, annual raises that I don't need to use for anything.

My original plan was to increase my 401k every year by the amount of my annual raise (usually around 3%). Get 50k in an emergency fund and then start building investments. 

But I have a large mortgage and I'm wondering if I should try to pay that off in 15 yrs while maintaining current retirement savings levels instead. I could still sock away a decent emergency fund too. Owning my home outright at 56 would open up a lot of options since I have in a very high COL area now.

What's the right move here?

I would opt for paying down the mortgage, since that's a healthy guaranteed return. The more you pay down the principal the less  interest you will be paying each month.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 to paying down mortgage. 

However, first things first, emergency fund needs proper attention and should be top of list.

Another angle can be making a extra payments (not towards principle) to mortgage

similar to em fund, but a step further. Pushing the payment due date out. 

But also making normal monthly payments as scheduled.

But also good to diversify so little here, little there is also good.

Message 4 of 31
iced
Valued Contributor

I vote for more retirement savings. The earlier it's in there, the longer it has to compound and grow. You probably already have a reasonable interest rate on the mortgage, and if you don't you can refinance to get around 3%.

The worst thing you can do is be house rich and cash poor. Too many people rely on home equity as their nest egg and it's neither liquid nor something that can just be sold if the cash is needed (where would you live?), and extracting it in the form of a HELOC or refi comes at a cost.

Message 5 of 31
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@iced wrote:

I vote for more retirement savings. The earlier it's in there, the longer it has to compound and grow. You probably already have a reasonable interest rate on the mortgage, and if you don't you can refinance to get around 3%.

The worst thing you can do is be house rich and cash poor. Too many people rely on home equity as their nest egg and it's neither liquid nor something that can just be sold if the cash is needed (where would you live?), and extracting it in the form of a HELOC or refi comes at a cost.

I do agree with @iced here.. , Also on the Interest rate on your house, I am pretty sure some of it is Tax deductible?, so what is the effective rate after taxes? ..this is always something I had considered. I am a firm believer on stashing away money for retirement.

This is not even the very cream of the crop "TOP" performing Mutaul Fund (One I do hold) ..

pretty hard to argue with the returns.

And if you happen to pick one that performs a little better?

Message 6 of 31
tacpoly
Established Contributor

You can do both!  Paying 1 extra month of mortgage payment per year (make sure that your mortgage servicer puts that extra payment towards principal) will allow you to pay off your mortgage in 22 years instead of 30.  That is a big difference for very little money.  Then you can put the rest of your money towards building emergency savings and increasing retirement savings.  

ETA:  You say you're contributing $30k/year to your 401k.  Considering the 401k deferral limit is $19.5k, your extra contribution is either a generous company match or you're making a non-elective contributions.  You may want to think about the pros and cons of tying down your money (i.e. in accounts where you have limited access or penalties for early withdrawal).  It's great if you have a plan (e.g. a mega backdoor Roth), but if you don't, you should develop one.  

Message 7 of 31
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

If I had the ability to go back 20 years and change things, then I would be putting my extra $$ into retirement versus the mortgage.

My real world scenerio is that we put extra towards our mortgage.  Everything was fine until the Great Recession happened about 10 years after we built our dream house on a large lake.  My DW and I still had our jobs and we were doing fine until things started falling apart for us in 2010.  She lost her job, and nobody was hiring.  We started depleting our emergency funds, but had enough for a while.  Next thing that happened was our area had a new flood plain map drawn up, and there was a misinterpretation made with the dam 200 yards away.  They mistakenly put a 6 foot corner of our house in the new flood plain.  We spent thousands of $$ fighting it (keep in my my wife was out of a job), but the final determination to remove the tiny corner of our house from the new flood plain meant we had to spend $20k to have a new base elevation surveyed for the entire area with no guarantee of removal.

By law, we were required to take out flood insurance which was quoted at $6000 from our insurance company, and it was due immediately... no payments allowed.  We found cheaper insurance and paid, but now we were severely hurting for money.  Only option was to leave our dream home; however, try to sell a home that also required flood insurance during a mortgage crisis... it ain't happening.  Our bank refused to work with us... i'm guessing they thought they were sitting on a gold mine since it was half paid off and they could resell for a profit.  We ended up losing our dream home and all the $$$ that we put into it when filing BK7.

Most of our extra money went into the house, and it went "poof" with nothing to show for it.  Obviously, money can go "poof" in the stock market, too.  But at least in the stock market / 401k you can diversify yourself.  A mortgage is a single large egg in a tiny basket, and if that basket tips over your egg is gone.  I'm not making that mistake again...

Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all of the advice so far. This has given me a lot to think about. In my area, housing prices have continued to skyrocket so paying off my home seemed like a great way to create flexibility in the future. I don't plan to retire in this area so selling this home is part of the plan.

That said, it makes a lot of sense not to put all my eggs in that basket. I like the idea of just paying an extra 1-2 payments per year to pay off the mortgage faster without really digging into my other available funds. I do have a generous employer match on my 401k, which is part of why I also favor that option. My goal has been to get to the maximum match and then put remaining funds into other investments.

The emergency fund is also very much a priority. I'm also considering a career change that will reduce my income significantly so having a larger emergency fund is becoming very appealing. I often hear people advised to have an emergency fund of 6-12 months salary but that would put me at 96,000-192,000, which seems like an excessive amount to have sitting in an account not performing. My expenses are nowhere near that high, so when considering emergency fund amounts, should you go off what you need to survive or salary?

Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

One last question. How do people feel about HSAs as investment sources? My coworker is super passionate about maxing that out every year since it's pre-tax but I am not sure how to think about that vs other options. I can put in 7k per year in addition to what my employer contributes and on an annual basis, I don't tend to use even the full employer contribution. I currently contribute 2k per year.

I appreciate the help. I'm new to having funds worth managing so recognize these may be stupid questions.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.