cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payoff completely or maintain a low balance?

tag
Bonaccan
Established Member

Payoff completely or maintain a low balance?

I've been paying down all of my credit cards with my bonus this year.

Question: Do I payoff completely or maintain a low balance on each, like $500?

Which one has a high positive impact on credit score?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Payoff completely or maintain a low balance?

Finance over FICO always. I would pay them all of and let one report like 20.00 . No need to carry balances on them all.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 8
tortoise_credit
Regular Contributor

You should first restore the grace period on all the cards by paying the statement balance off in full for two consecutive months. Then look into the AZEO method where you let only one card post a balance each month.

FICO 8Inq/1230/60/90 LatesAAoA
EX78114/0/09 yr 3 mo
EQ79313/1/08 yr 6 mo
TU77714/0/18 yr 9 mo
Last updated: 4/3/2022
Message 3 of 8
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Bonaccan wrote:

The highest possible positive impact on scores is AZEO, i.e. all zero except one.

It is never beneficial to scores to carry a balance on a credit card. Note: there is a score drop if all cards report $0 and you don't need to carry a balance to have one report. 

Message 4 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Bonaccan wrote:

I agree with @tortoise_credit that your first priority should be to pay them all off to restore your grace periods.

Then, the most optimal FICO-scoring combination would be to have all but one of your cards report a zero balance, while one bank card reports a small balance before being paid off.  Generally, the more zero balances the better, except that all zero gets you the 'all zero penalty'.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 8
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

@tortoise_credit wrote:

You should first restore the grace period on all the cards by paying the statement balance off in full for two consecutive months. Then look into the AZEO method where you let only one card post a balance each month.

Why do we assume that OP has no grace periods on his card accounts? I don't understand what you mean by a "grace period" here?

I thought that most credit card accounts have a 30-day grace period before they report a late payment to the credit bureaus. But perhaps you're referring to a different kind of grace period?

Message 6 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

@tortoise_credit wrote:

Why do we assume that OP has no grace periods on his card accounts? I don't understand what you mean by a "grace period" here?

I thought that most credit card accounts have a 30-day grace period before they report a late payment to the credit bureaus. But perhaps you're referring to a different kind of grace period?

Grace period refers to the time between the statement date and the due date.  If one pays off one's bill during that period one does not pay interest on the purchases. People who "carry" balances on their card have lost their grace period.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 8
Bonaccan
Established Member

Thank you all for the responses! I have what I needed on which approach to take!!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.