cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal sending to meet minimum debit use?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paypal sending to meet minimum debit use?

Just a hypothetical scenario, as it seems like it's too easy, and probably too close to breaking TOS...

Can I do the following?

- have my PayPal account linked to one bank account (in my name only) at Bank A

- have a PayPal account in my SO's name linked to a bank account (joint account) at Bank B

- use my account to send some amount of cash (i.e. to meet minimum spend limits on a debit card) to my SO's PayPal.

- transfer money from SO PayPal to joint account, then ACH it back to where it came from?

If no, and I'm assuming that's the case, where does it break down? Other things to be aware of, is that currently the joint account in the scenario above is attached to my PayPal account, so I would need to unlink it and link it to SO.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Paypal sending to meet minimum debit use?

You can't use the debit card to send someone money, only your PP cash balance or from a linked bank account, the debit card is only for purchases. And trying something like what you described is asking for adverse action from PayPal.

What "minimum debit use"? If you have the Business Debit card you need a minimum of $1 in rewards ($100 spend) to get cashback rewards. On a personal PP debit card there's no rewards so no minimum.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I meant to get the X debit transactions per month, or whatever is needed for some Rewards Checking. And yes, I was also of the opinion that it was a little too fishy to be good, but if it worked, I was willing to try. But not that desperate! Thanks.

Message 3 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I meant to get the X debit transactions per month, or whatever is needed for some Rewards Checking. And yes, I was also of the opinion that it was a little too fishy to be good, but if it worked, I was willing to try. But not that desperate! Thanks.

Ah, I thought you meant PayPal debit. A lot of folks do the Amazon gift card reload, .50 cents minimum, but I've read some rewards checking accounts are cracking down on numerous small debit card transactions to meet debit card requirements. With two gmail accounts you can use Google Pay to move money between bank accounts using debit cards.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Ah, I thought you meant PayPal debit. A lot of folks do the Amazon gift card reload, .50 cents minimum, but I've read some rewards checking accounts are cracking down on numerous small debit card transactions to meet debit card requirements. With two gmail accounts you can use Google Pay to move money between bank accounts using debit cards.

I'd also heard that Amazon themselves were beginning to crack down on them, so was looking for ways to make it work. It was on Doctor of Credit a couple of weeks back (here).

Does the Google Pay moving count as debit card transactions? I know I have access to (at least) two Gmail accounts, so if that works, then it might be viable, and means that I can meet the requirements and not actually "spend" anything.

Message 5 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Yes, I use google pay to move money between accounts and drain $$ from PayPal the debit shows as a debit card purchase from Google
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.