Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed AA Checking Account

tag
sportsguy83
Regular Contributor

PenFed AA Checking Account

So I just opened an Access America checking account (goodbye DCU and it's new crappy system) to further my banking relationship with them (shooting for the PCR eventually).  I was curious for those who have it if transfers from other FI satisfy the direct deposit requirement or if it has to be a direct deposit from your employer.

Beginning Rebuilding - February 2022

Current Scores - June 2023

Goal Scores - January 2024

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: PenFed AA Checking Account

@sportsguy83 wrote:

So I just opened an Access America checking account (goodbye DCU and it's new crappy system) to further my banking relationship with them (shooting for the PCR eventually).  I was curious for those who have it if transfers from other FI satisfy the direct deposit requirement or if it has to be a direct deposit from your employer.

Pushing a transfer from BECU counts for the direct deposit.  That is the only other bank I have that doesn't charge to send money. 

I believe I read that someone with Chase also had success.

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 19
creditfan
Established Contributor

@sportsguy83 wrote:

YES

Message 3 of 19
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I have had success with PayPal transfers counting as a DD with this account!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 4 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@sportsguy83 wrote:

ACH transfers from your external accounts do seem to satisfy the direct deposit requirement.  But I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

ACH transfers from your external accounts do seem to satisfy the direct deposit requirement.  But I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

Right.   It is relatively rare (twice a week max for me) that you have to bet your life on what is considered a DD, but certainly check from time to time that you are still getting the 2% you expect.    If at any point Penfed stops considering ACH as DD, there is probably no recourse (it ISN'T direct deposit!) apart perhaps from walking into a branch, slapping a teller's face with your glove and demanding  a duel to the death...

Message 6 of 19
Absolution16
Frequent Contributor

Any latest DPs on this?

I am looking to see about opening a checking account at PenFed.  If I can manually push $500 ACH once a month from my Ally Bank app/website to PenFed, I am also wondering if that would count as Direct Deposit.  That would eliminate the need to park $500 at PenFed, and I can freely transfer the money out again or pay bills as necessary.

Message 7 of 19
Rogue46
Established Contributor

@sportsguy83 

I'm curious to know what the problem was with DCU?  I love banking with them especially deposits clearing within sometimes a few minutes. On the other hand I just cannot deal with Penfeds decades old websi

Message 8 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Absolution16 wrote:

Any latest DPs on this?

I am looking to see about opening a checking account at PenFed.  If I can manually push $500 ACH once a month from my Ally Bank app/website to PenFed, I am also wondering if that would count as Direct Deposit.  That would eliminate the need to park $500 at PenFed, and I can freely transfer the money out again or pay bills as necessary.

In my experience they did count.  But I have no recent experience with it, as I started making regular direct deposits when PenFed added 2-day early direct deposit.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 19
Absolution16
Frequent Contributor

@SouthJamaica 

Do you remember roughly how long ago it was that you stopped pushing ACH from your other FI to PenFed and started opting for Direct Deposit instead?

Also, I seem to recall that you were unhappy with PenFed's services on the phone, as well as the fact that they limit you to only ONE transfer per day, is that correct?  How is your general assessment on PenFed?  I had a feeling you were leaning heavily towards only their PowerCash VISA being worthwhile.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.