Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Customer Service

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Customer Service

I opened a checking account with PenFed and was told it would only require a soft credit pull. I provided the call recording to a PenFed supervisor and he told me the agent who opened my account on the phone was incorrect but unfortunately he could not remove the hard pull. I disputed the hard pull and PenFed verified it as accurate to Equifax. I then filed a complaint with their credit reporting deptartment and after waiting 60 days, I was told the hard pull was valid despite what the agent told me (they also received a copy of the recorded phone conversation). Do I have any recourse? I really don't want to wait 2 years for an inquiry I did not approve to fall off.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

Re: PenFed Customer Service

@Anonymous wrote:

I opened a checking account with PenFed and was told it would only require a soft credit pull. I provided the call recording to a PenFed supervisor and he told me the agent who opened my account on the phone was incorrect but unfortunately he could not remove the hard pull. I disputed the hard pull and PenFed verified it as accurate to Equifax. I then filed a complaint with their credit reporting deptartment and after waiting 60 days, I was told the hard pull was valid despite what the agent told me (they also received a copy of the recorded phone conversation). Do I have any recourse? I really don't want to wait 2 years for an inquiry I did not approve to fall off.

You could write to the CEO of PenFed if you wish to go that far.

Honestly, unless you are trying to get Chase in the near future, there is no need to get too upset about an inquiry. By all means, you deserve to be upset about being misinformed. 

After 6 months, most FICO scores no longer count the inquiry against you, and while they do stay for two years, after 1 year they are not really looked at or scored against (of course, unless you are within 5/24 for a Chase card).

Message 2 of 8
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@BearsCubsOtters wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, unless you are trying to get Chase in the near future, there is no need to get too upset about an inquiry. By all means, you deserve to be upset about being misinformed. 

After 6 months, most FICO scores no longer count the inquiry against you, and while they do stay for two years, after 1 year they are not really looked at or scored against (of course, unless you are within 5/24 for a Chase card).

FYI Chase 5/24 is about new accounts it has nothing to do with inquiries....

Message 3 of 8
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous, I'm thinking you have a right to be upset about incorrect information, but in the grand scheme of things, a single pull is irrelevant.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 4 of 8
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

You can file a complaint with the CFPB but I imagine it would not be a good start to a relationship with a new financial institution.

If you have little to no inquiries already then one won't make much of a difference. If you already have a bunch then one more likely won't make much difference.

Message 5 of 8
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Wow, I didn't know PenFed did a HP for a checking account, you're the 1st I've heard mention it, I believe.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 6 of 8
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

@BearsCubsOtters wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

FYI Chase 5/24 is about new accounts it has nothing to do with inquiries....

Crud! You are correct! Thank you. Its been a long day....

Message 7 of 8
JL276
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

you can certainly file a complaint with the CFPB. I filed a complaint when a bank HP'd me after the rep said it would be a SP.

2 days after filing a complaint they recoded the HP to a SP. I requested a CLI a month later and it was approved. The "relationship" was not ruined and nothing negative happened.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.