Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Free Checking Account Under Review

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Free Checking Account Under Review

While searching the forum for credit unions with early direct deposit, I came across PenFed's Free checking account--thanks @SouthJamaica

Submitted the app online & received the notification to unfreeze my Equifax report. Unfroze my report & received an email stating that my new account is almost open & that I may now refreeze my Equifax report 🙄.

According to a chat rep, the application is under review and a decision will be delivered via email tomorrow. 

So I'm thinking this free checking account may be denied as I joined in 2020 with a dirty file & my Equifax report leaves much to be desired. If so, I'll probably take my pennies from the savings & close the account. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: PenFed Free Checking Account Under Review

@Anonymous wrote:

While searching the forum for credit unions with early direct deposit, I came across PenFed's Free checking account--thanks @SouthJamaica

Submitted the app online & received the notification to unfreeze my Equifax report. Unfroze my report & received an email stating that my new account is almost open & that I may now refreeze my Equifax report 🙄.

According to a chat rep, the application is under review and a decision will be delivered via email tomorrow. 

So I'm thinking this free checking account may be denied as I joined in 2020 with a dirty file & my Equifax report leaves much to be desired. If so, I'll probably take my pennies from the savings & close the account. 

Holy cow, I didn't even know PenFed now offers a free checking account. It's been the only credit union I've ever seen which doesn't.

Its Access America checking account assesses a $10 month penalty, which can only be avoided by having, each month, a minimum balance of $500 or  direct deposits of $500.  It appears that their definition of direct deposit is the looser kind, apparently can be satisfied by ACH transfers from your external account.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 9
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:Holy cow, I didn't even know PenFed now offers a free checking account. It's been the only credit union I've ever seen which doesn't.

Its Access America checking account assesses a $10 month penalty, which can only be avoided by having, each month, a minimum balance of $500 or  direct deposits of $500.  It appears that their definition of direct deposit is the looser kind, apparently can be satisfied by ACH transfers from your external account.

Right off the top of my head, Alaska USA Federal Credit Union doesn't, Elements Financial and GTE Financial all don't offer free checking. Alaska USA also has $50 annual fees on all their cards unless you have a checking account with them Smiley LOL

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Filed-September 2020 Discharged-December 2020
Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Capital One Auto Loan (Opened March 2021)
Capital One Cabela's $5000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
America First Credit Union Visa $1000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
Capital One SavorOne $5000 Limit (Opened September 2022)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Idaho Central Credit Union ICCU Visa $10,000 Limit (Opened April 2023)
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol. I think I happened to stumble upon PenFed's Free Checking account.

In the past I've received marketing emails targeting their premium savings account--although I don't recall what rate is offered on the premium savings--but no target email for this new free checking. 

Declined for their Access America account before,  so I have little confidence in the free account being approved. Perhaps it was more of a test to decide whether or not to keep the savings open 😉. Especially since I think we've established that I am not their ideal account holder.  Meh. 

Message 4 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Lol. I think I happened to stumble upon PenFed's Free Checking account.

In the past I've received marketing emails targeting their premium savings account--although I don't recall what rate is offered on the premium savings--but no target email for this new free checking. 

Declined for their Access America account before,  so I have little confidence in the free account being approved. Perhaps it was more of a test to decide whether or not to keep the savings open 😉. Especially since I think we've established that I am not their ideal account holder.  Meh. 

Well we think you're ideal Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're too kind  @SouthJamaicaHow'd you know it was one of those days? 😉 

Message 6 of 9
whoelze

Don't sell yourself short! I was worried they would look and see that I burned 3 CU's and say "thanks, but no thanks" Smiley LOL But when I applied a few weeks ago for the free checking, IIRC, it went into review and  about 24 hours later got an account opening approval email.

Ch. 7 - 05/14/2021 : Discharged - 08/30/2021

FICO 8 Scores as of 01/06/2022:
EQ = 653 EX = 608 TU = 622

FICO 9 Scores as of 01/06/2022:
EQ = 713 EX = 660 TU = 701
Message 7 of 9
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

They finally added a free checking account! 

Thanks for posting this... any update on your app? Fingers crossed!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks 😊for the good vibes @Mr_Mojo_Risin.  

Update,  PenFed denied the free checking account but offered me the limited checking account which I wasn't familiar with. But sounds like the limited has the same requirements as the access checking account that @SouthJamaica pointed out. $10 monthly fee that can be waived if I maintain a $500 balance or $500 in direct deposits. 

Meh, I passed. I have new cu membership approvals with a solid amount of free checking accounts. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.