Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed is begging me to take a pers. loan

tag
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

PenFed is begging me to take a pers. loan

I mean, does anyone else receive as many solitications for these things as I do? They sent me a paper check (promptly shredded) plus a follow-up email to make sure I didn't forget.

Capture.JPG

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: PenFed is begging me to take a pers. loan

I do not get the emails, but I checked the prequal tool and surprisingly I was preapproved for up to $20k!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 9
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I haven't been as heavily marketed for either and certainly haven't received a check...but I have used the "check my rate" link they email me all the time and get the same approval.

Message 3 of 9
iced
Valued Contributor

Citi has been soliciting me about taking out a personal loan about weekly at this point, and 0% APR BT checks also show up about weekly. It's very aggrivating and even after calling them, they don't stop coming. I'm close to closing my card with them just to get them to stop.

Chase has also been sending personal loan offers via email. DCU's also been offering pre-approved quickloans and personal loans you can instantly accept, so I would guess it's just been a fad for lenders to try to offer loans to people lately.

Message 4 of 9
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

I receive a lot of solitications, as I deal with a lot of financial institutions. But they send 2-3x as many (both email and snail mail) as the next guy. It's ridiculous.

Message 5 of 9
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

I've never gotten anything other than the TurboTax discount.

Although, last month I did the preapproval link for the personal loan and got approved for $15,000 @ 9.99%.   I got the same email you did today, and checked again and now I have $35,000 at 8.49%.  The difference, of course, is that my BK dropped off my reports late last month.

I wonder if those rates are at all negotiable if you call in...

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 6 of 9
blindambition
Senior Contributor

They are begging you?, Are you sure you're just not the one dying to take it? LOL 😂 

Message 7 of 9
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

They are begging you?, Are you sure you're just not the one dying to take it? LOL 😂 

LOL, ain't no chance!

In the past month, I've paid off a BT and took out a new car loan, so I'm good on the installment-loan front. And they recently gave me a big CLI on my PCR ($8750 -> $26250). Perhaps they just like my profile? Regardless, it's nice to be loved 🤣

Message 8 of 9
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@5KRunner wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

LOL, ain't no chance!

In the past month, I've paid off a BT and took out a new car loan, so I'm good on the installment-loan front. And they recently gave me a big CLI on my PCR ($8750 -> $26250). Perhaps they just like my profile? Regardless, it's nice to be loved 🤣

Actually, in theory, I could take that personal loan, payoff a Prosper loan, my car loan and a BT and I'd lower my monthly DTI by about $360.  As long as I threw that same money at the PenFed loan every month, I'd clear it in about the same amount of time and it would be pretty much a wash interest-wise.

Probably woudn't want to do it unless I could talk them into the 6.49% best rate they offer, though. 

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.