Penfed Membership: No hard pull

tag
arunkumarmm
Regular Contributor

Re: Penfed Membership: No hard pull

@Anonymous wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I can second this..... just applied for membership and no hard pull or donation for me either 

No HP for me, but I believe there was a donation.

When it asked to add funds, I added $50 - but when I go back and check, it says I have $45
so I am assuming that is the donation.

No $5 is the cost of your share in PenFed. Most CUs will take your share amount away from available balance so you can't spend it. 

^^^This.. Your balance will be $50 but the available balance will only be $45.. Cost of the membership I guess.. that's nothing to do with the donation. 

Message 21 of 59
ddamage
Regular Contributor

I opened an account with them yesterday and they told me they had to do a hard pull. Smh.

Message 22 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@arunkumarmm wrote:

Their checking is minimum $500 or $500 DD month right? 

I was trying to find this but that is what i understood from their website

If you want to avoid being charged the fee, yes. 

Message 23 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ddamage wrote:

I opened an account with them yesterday and they told me they had to do a hard pull. Smh.

This is why I don't usually call to open accounts. Automated systems are always updated before humans. 

Message 24 of 59
ddamage
Regular Contributor

Not to highjack the OP but should I ask them to see if I qualify for their CC since they did the HP or would it be another HP? Also my EQ Fico 9 score is 683.

Message 25 of 59
PicoFico
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They have indeed removed the HP for membership! Right before you submit, it says:

• I authorize PenFed to obtain a consumer report from a consumer reporting agency to verify information provided in my application or for legitimate business purpose in connection with my PenFed account. This will not impact my credit score.

If it was a HP, it would not say it will not impact your score. 

I decided not to go through with the app though. I'm still not sure about a CU that charges for a checking account and besides, if I join dirty I'll be waiting years to get offers. I'll wait til my BK is gone from EQ before I join. 

When I poked around with membership I saw this...

Screenshot_20200418-150019.png

Rebuild start: 5/15/19

Financial Institutions:
Wells Fargo | NFCU | Penfed
Products:
Discover It CB $2.1k | WF Propel $22.5k | PenFed PCR $20k | NFCU Platinum $10k | NFCU More Rewards $25k | NFCU Flagship $30k | NFCU CLOC $500 | NFCU SSL 60mo | NFCU Auto loan

Message 26 of 59
PicoFico
Frequent Contributor

I don't mean to ressurect this, but I did some more digging to see why me and @Anonymous had diiferent results.

It seems if you try it through mobile, you'll get my message and possibly incur an HP (regardless of forcing browser to desktop mode) and if you do it via PC you get the other non-HP version.

Just thought some might be interested in my findings or would like to proof my work 😉

Financial Institutions:
Products:
Discover It CB $2.1k | WF Propel $22.5k | PenFed PCR $20k | NFCU Platinum $10k | NFCU More Rewards $25k | NFCU Flagship $30k | NFCU CLOC $500 | NFCU SSL 60mo | NFCU Auto loan

Message 27 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PicoFico wrote:

I don't mean to ressurect this, but I did some more digging to see why me and @Anonymous had diiferent results.

It seems if you try it through mobile, you'll get my message and possibly incur an HP (regardless of forcing browser to desktop mode) and if you do it via PC you get the other non-HP version.

Just thought some might be interested in my findings or would like to proof my work 😉

Hmm... I did it on my phone though. I hardly ever use my desktop so I know for sure it was on my phone. 

Message 28 of 59
PicoFico
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@PicoFico wrote:

Hmm... I did it on my phone though. I hardly ever use my desktop so I know for sure it was on my phone. 

Well what the hay, I stand corrected. Both Samsung and Chrome browsers gave me the same results vs PC (regardless of private session or not).

I guess if you're not experiencing the results as expected on mobile try PC.

Thanks for the follow up @Anonymous!

Financial Institutions:
Products:

Message 29 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PicoFico wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@PicoFico wrote:

Well what the hay, I stand corrected. Both Samsung and Chrome browsers gave me the same results vs PC (regardless of private session or not).

I guess if you're not experiencing the results as expected on mobile try PC.

Thanks for the follow up @Anonymous!

Hmm. @PicoFico  PenFed changed their site. Now on mobile it asks me for my phone number and I chose to skip that and filled in my name and address and there was nothing that said they were checking my credit so I hit next and it spun around before asking me for my SS card, DL, and a utility bill. I closed out of it. With how long it was spinning, it would amaze me if I didn't just get hit with a SP. I would have gone through the roof if I got credit check alerts and there was no warning that it was going to happen. 

I would be very cautious and only try for PenFed if you're okay with maybe having a HP. 

Message 30 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.