Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed Membership: No hard pull

tag
soxfaininfl
Frequent Contributor

Re: Penfed Membership: No hard pull

@Anonymous wrote:

They have indeed removed the HP for membership! Right before you submit, it says:

• I authorize PenFed to obtain a consumer report from a consumer reporting agency to verify information provided in my application or for legitimate business purpose in connection with my PenFed account. This will not impact my credit score.

If it was a HP, it would not say it will not impact your score. 

I decided not to go through with the app though. I'm still not sure about a CU that charges for a checking account and besides, if I join dirty I'll be waiting years to get offers. I'll wait til my BK is gone from EQ before I join. 

Are they not BK friendly? I was going to open up a savings with them to establish a relationship, and then apply in a year and half. I have 6 more years to go before I'm rid of my BK7. 

Message 31 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@soxfaininfl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They have indeed removed the HP for membership! Right before you submit, it says:

• I authorize PenFed to obtain a consumer report from a consumer reporting agency to verify information provided in my application or for legitimate business purpose in connection with my PenFed account. This will not impact my credit score.

If it was a HP, it would not say it will not impact your score. 

I decided not to go through with the app though. I'm still not sure about a CU that charges for a checking account and besides, if I join dirty I'll be waiting years to get offers. I'll wait til my BK is gone from EQ before I join. 

Are they not BK friendly? I was going to open up a savings with them to establish a relationship, and then apply in a year and half. I have 6 more years to go before I'm rid of my BK7. 

If you join them with a dirty file, you probably won't get offers from them for a number of years. I decided that I don't want to get thrown in that group so I held off membership. FWIW, they did shoot me down for a PCR back in 2018 but they claimed it was too many new accounts (I was 3/24 but 2 of those were 6 months prior) and not my BK. 

Message 32 of 59
soxfaininfl
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the feedback Saeren. You must be stoked that you your BK is coming off shortly. I bet your scores will shoot up quite a bit. Chase will no longer be off limits too. 

Message 33 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@soxfaininfl wrote:

Thank you for the feedback Saeren. You must be stoked that you your BK is coming off shortly. I bet your scores will shoot up quite a bit. Chase will no longer be off limits too. 

My scores already went up on two of the three thanks to 6 month EE from TU and 2 month auto EE from EX last month. I had 700s across the board but TU is now 794 and EX is now 777. EQ is just the last. Hopefully it's gone next month. You know the horror stories about EQ... It's nice seeing my scores go up though. If AOD continues to not report to TU, I should be over 800 in October there. Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 59
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

I wish I hadn’t seen this thread, penfed has been on my list for a while but I’m trying to garden 2020 away!
Message 35 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icednightpaper wrote:
I wish I hadn’t seen this thread, penfed has been on my list for a while but I’m trying to garden 2020 away!

You can open an account with PenFed without it affecting your gardening as long as you don't apply for credit as well. 

Message 36 of 59
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@icednightpaper wrote:

You can open an account with PenFed without it affecting your gardening as long as you don't apply for credit as well. 

You're not wrong, and I might go ahead and do so. My primary desire with them are credit and other lending products though so it would be more for just having a membership bookmarked for 2021 Smiley Indifferent

Message 37 of 59
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@icednightpaper wrote:

+1

Message 38 of 59
JustJay119
Regular Contributor

Hey guys, not to intentionally   re resurrect this thread but I decided to pull the trigger on PenFed. I realized there are two ways to sign up.

One is to click join now at the top next to login or go to Premium Online Savings, which is the product i was interested in and click apply now.

The join now asks me to fill in my number and date of birth and it pre fills it in. The apply now is a different form asking for all my info. Im not sure if im completely right on the forms but this is my experience. The credit report  consent checkmark said that they only use it to verify my info and it will not affect my credit so it looks like a soft pull. Lets see if a HP hits my Eq this week.

Current

AU

Banking

Scores 10/15/21
Message 39 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did they end up doing a HP afterall?

@JustJay119 wrote:

Hey guys, not to intentionally   re resurrect this thread but I decided to pull the trigger on PenFed. I realized there are two ways to sign up.

One is to click join now at the top next to login or go to Premium Online Savings, which is the product i was interested in and click apply now.

The join now asks me to fill in my number and date of birth and it pre fills it in. The apply now is a different form asking for all my info. Im not sure if im completely right on the forms but this is my experience. The credit report  consent checkmark said that they only use it to verify my info and it will not affect my credit so it looks like a soft pull. Lets see if a HP hits my Eq this week.

Message 40 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.