Penfed giving $200 to open an Access America Checking

tag
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Penfed giving $200 to open an Access America Checking

@Gmood1 wrote:

Email came in today.

Penfed Checking account promo.png

Thanks @Gmood1 !  .. Maybe I can get  @AverageJoesCredit to sign his stimulus payment over to Me?

Since I do not qualify for itSmiley Tongue

Message 11 of 36
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

I had my EQ locked and they said to unlock it (I forgot). I'm already a customer with them. I emailed them and they said it's a soft inquiry only. I have yet to proceed.

Edit: I unlocked and it was a soft inquiry.

Message 12 of 36
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I've been a member with Penfed since 2017, one of least liked CUs, but I do like my bank bonuses and this is super easy so I opened a checking account on 5/4. No debit card yet, so I call. Rep tells me that since I previously had a checking account they just assigned my previous debit card to the new checking account. I sit in stunned silence for a few seconds and then tell him "I closed that checking account in 2018, do you really think I would still have a debit card from an account I closed 2 years ago"???? Rep responds "So, do you want a new debit card?" Me: "Um, yes". Rep then has to walk me through clicking "Account Detail" and then "Request Debit card", and a PDF pops up. Rep tells me to email it to them. "But it needs a signature" I tell him. He tells me to print it, scan it, and email it. I tell him "You have to be kidding, you want me to do all that just to get a freaking debit card???? Why can't you just request one for me"???? He tells me if I want to get a debit card I need to send them the signed form.

If I didn't have a nice Home Equity LoC from Penfed I would drop them in a second, clueless, absolutely clueless.

Message 13 of 36
nosup4u
Contributor

I opened this last week and it was a soft pull for me 

Message 14 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened on May 12th and it was a soft pull for me as well.

Message 15 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never actually used a debit card in my lifetime and, to my knowledge, never even activated one -- so, having established my complete ignorance on all things debit card, I have a question for the community:

* can the 5 necessary debit charges be enacted online vs in person?

* if yes, please explain how?

Message 16 of 36
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never actually used a debit card in my lifetime and, to my knowledge, never even activated one -- so, having established my complete ignorance on all things debit card, I have a question for the community:

Yeah I'm not a fan of using debit cards, especially online. Penfed terms say the debit card transactions caan be PIN or Signature, so can be online or in a physical store. Do you have an Amazon account? The easiest way to do required debit transactions is to re-load an Amazon gift card, it can be done as small as .50cents, do that 5 times and you're done and just redeem you gift card balance on you next Amazon order.

Message 17 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah I'm not a fan of using debit cards, especially online. Penfed terms say the debit card transactions caan be PIN or Signature, so can be online or in a physical store. Do you have an Amazon account? The easiest way to do required debit transactions is to re-load an Amazon gift card, it can be done as small as .50cents, do that 5 times and you're done and just redeem you gift card balance on you next Amazon order.

Thanks, Dave. I do have an Amazon account and that looks manageable. So do I just input the Penfed checking account number or the debit card has its own unique number? 

Message 18 of 36
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, Dave. I do have an Amazon account and that looks manageable. So do I just input the Penfed checking account number or the debit card has its own unique number? 

Use the debit card, the number is a Visa compatible account number different from the checking account number. Just go into your Amazon account settings. manage payment methods, and add the debit card number the same as you would a credit card.

Message 19 of 36
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

I do Amazon reloads specifically for the purpose of bank bonuses. Can confirm this is the easiest method. 

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.