Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Loan Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal Loan Advice

Hello, 

I am looking to apply for a personal loan for home repairs preferably up to 25k less if that is not possible. I wanted to see if anyone had advice on where my best bet would be. My score 8 scores are from the other day my Fico 9 scores are from the first of the month (next update two days from now). I recent bought a house and settled just over a week ago. It has reported yet. I am actively using the azero method. No missed payments on cc for almost three years aside. No collections. In come is 60k but just received a 10k raise will start next paycheck.

Who would be the most likely to approve me for close to this amount? 

Do I report the mortgage if it doesn't start until July? I don't pay rent now.

Do I put the salary bump if I haven't recieved a paycheck with this amount yet?

4CEB7139-E0B4-41F6-88C9-CA016CF172EF.jpeg

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Personal Loan Advice

You might try PenFed's personal loan pre-qualify tool?

https://www.penfed.org/personal/personal-loans

Make sure your credit bureaus are NOT locked.

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, 

I am looking to apply for a personal loan for home repairs preferably up to 25k less if that is not possible. I wanted to see if anyone had advice on where my best bet would be. My score 8 scores are from the other day my Fico 9 scores are from the first of the month (next update two days from now). I recent bought a house and settled just over a week ago. It has reported yet. I am actively using the azero method. No missed payments on cc for almost three years aside. No collections. In come is 60k but just received a 10k raise will start next paycheck.

Personal loans often involve POI, especially with borderline applicants.

If you want to use your current income, wait till you have at least 3 paystubs. 

If it cannot wait, you should use "old" income because $10,000 is huge discrepancy. 

As far as do you include future mortgage payment (future as in 31 days), you should. It would be dishonest not to, and it does play into your ability to pay back loan while keeping mortgage payments current.

Your scores are on a low side, so I wouldn't look outside of credit unions or your interest rate might exceed credit card interest. Unfortunately, in credit time three years ago isn't that "long time ago", it's more like "last month" 

In addition to Penfed suggestion, check rates at local credit unions, that's probably your best bet. 

Personal loans are harder to qualify for with decent terms because unlike with credit cards, typical risk mitigation tactics do not work.

You cannot be CLDed nor can they take their money back, and also, you cannot pick the amount you want to pay. 

With CC lending, they can close or cld. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, 

Amex does personal loans.  Pen Fed has a pre approval site you can use

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 Thank you! That's what I've seen around here. Do you know who they pull and what score they use?

@Remedios Thank you! For the record I had read post saying to apply for the loan before the mortgage starts reporting and after it's funded. I thought that might be the reason. I do not want to do anything dishonest or unethical and will report it appropriately as you suggested. As for the salary I will use my current. Thanks for the advice!

Message 5 of 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 Thank you! That's what I've seen around here. Do you know who they pull and what score they use?

Hi @Anonymous , They pull Equifax FICO9   . . .

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update. Thanks all for the advice. 

I applied with Penfed and was preapproved for 20k last Monday. It was pending proof of income. I used my previous income but did include a letter with my employer's information informing them of the increase along with contact info to verify when I submitted POI. I also did include my mortgage. I didn't hear anything back since Monday so I called today (on the weekend). They said it was still pending. She asked if I had a few minutes, that she could reach out to someone to see if we can move it along. I received the approval on the phone and the in a subsequent email. Just signed the docs!

Thanks again for the help! 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.