Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Loan Approval but must close credit card account

tag
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Re: Personal Loan Approval but must close credit card account

@huntersimp wrote:

I now make enough to pay this down over time. 

I've paid off $20k in debt in the last 8 months.  Most of this was accrued when my business was not so good.

Its not an emergency.  But, I appreciate the comment.

Op, paying down $20k in 8 months is excellent, and that alone makes me look at this from the opposite side of the box.  Before I comment and throw out my opinion / personal choice of what I would do... as my own disclaimer - it would be prudent to have a general idea of your income / DTI.  Being that I don't, just take this as a general opinion without full factual basis:

In reality, all of the accounts you listed have higher intereset rates than your Capital One Venture card.  By paying off the Venture, sure you're getting initial relief and knocking off the largest debt, however, you're still left with a # of high interest cards that don't help near as much as having the lower interest / larger balance Venture card in the end.  Some say you'll easily rebound, but it can take years to get back to a 20k limit.  Again, YMMV so this depends in income.  Also, by just cutting out the Venture card you in fact will lose about 50% of your utilization, and yes that would be quite a crunch unless everything was at AZEO.  My 2 cents is that if you already paid off 20k in 8 months, then you should be able to afford at a minimum, $1500/month toward this goal. 

Month 1

Pay Off:

• Walmart (24.65%) - $620 limit    $280 balance
  • Merrick Bank (27.2%) - $2800 limit    $740 balance
  • *Continue a min on the other cards this month

Month 2

Pay Off:

• Cap One Rewards (21.55%) - $1500 limit    $280 balance
  • Barclay Apple (28.74%) - $850 limit    $530 balance (Barclays is balance chasing his one)

Month 3

Pay Off All or Part of:

• Barclay Rewards (25.74%)- $3800 limit    $2150 balance (This is being transferred to Mercury Mastercard)
  • * Continue a min on the other cards this month, split this payment into another month if needbe 

Month 4

Pay Off Half of:

• Cap One Quicksilver (21.74%) - $7600 limit    $3600 balance
  • * Continue a min on the other cards this month, split this payment into another month if needbe 

Month 5

Pay Rest of:

• Cap One Quicksilver (21.74%) - $7600 limit    $1800 balance

Month 6 - 10

Pay off at least $1500+ per month on:

• Avant Personal Loan (35%) - $7k balance

Month 11 - ##

Within another 8+ Months paying at least $1500 on the below you'll be in great shape:

• Cap One Venture (19.65%) - $20k limit    $17k balance (Should be a bit less by now having paid min)

I'm no accountant, but going by what you've provided, and cutting out going to fancy dinners and vacations for 1 year, I'd call this year and a half plan pretty darn doable.  Again, my 2 cents.

Message 11 of 20
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

I'd try looking at a couple More CUs

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@I don't see how your scores would suffer. Present util is 24,580/39,900 = 61.6% with one card @ 85%. After loan your util will be: 7,580/19,900 = 38.1% with no 85% card. How is this worse?

This strikes me as the money quote.  I think it would be great for our OP to respond to this specifically.  We need a better idea of why he thinks his score will be damaged.  If James is doing his math right, the path requested by the bank will actually improve our OP's score a ton.

And as James later observes, once all of the CC debt is paid off (with one card showing a small positive balance) he will look much more attractive to CC issuers.  Thus if he wants a nice major card with a big CL that will certainly happen down the road.

Message 13 of 20
huntersimp
Valued Member

I took the loan. This post helped me to decide to do that.
Message 14 of 20
Kasuito39
Frequent Contributor

Great choice!
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats OP!
Message 16 of 20
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

If you are paying an extra $2500 per month towards CCs you will be out of this mess soon.  No need to change everything up.  I would pay 5x your minimum payment on everything first.  Then pay off the lowest balances in order of lowest to highest next each month.  Make sure to save $500 or so in cash each month for emergencies so you are not cash flow poor.

I would not bother with the loan to save 5% apr with those requirements.

Do you not ever get any 0% offers from Cap One?

If so, you write yourself a check and pay even more towards each cc including the 0% one. 

YMMV, but would not be worth it to me to get personal loan for 5% less and less flexibility especially with your disposible income.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

1)What was your score when you applied,2) who did they pull(bureau) or was it like a multiple hard pull?

@huntersimp wrote:

I was just approved for a $25k personal loan @ 14% from my credit union to pay off my Cap One Venture card ($17k) and another high interest personal loan with AVANT ($7k).  The requirement is that I close the Cap One Venture after its paid off.  

My concern is that by closing the Cap One Venture in addition to the $25k personal loan reporting, my credit will take a big hit.

My total credit situation is:

Avant Personal Loan (35%) - $7k balance

Cap One Venture (19.65%) - $20k limit    $17k balance

Cap One Quicksilver (21.74%) - $7600 limit    $3600 balance

Cap One Rewards (21.55%) - $1500 limit    $280 balance

Merrick Bank (27.2%) - $2800 limit    $740 balance

Barclay Rewards (25.74%)- $3800 limit    $2150 balance (This is being transferred to Mercury Mastercard)

Barclay Apple (28.74%) - $850 limit    $530 balance (Barclays is balance chasing his one)

Citi Double Cash (24.74%) - $430 limit    $0 balance (Citi was balance chasing bu tnot any more)

First Premier (36%) - $800 limit    $0 balance 

Indigo (23.9%) - $300 limit    $0 balance

Verve MC (??%) - $500    $0 balance

Walmart (24.65%) - $620 limit    $280 balance

Nordstrom (??%) - $700 limit    $0 balance

I am debating if I should accept the personal loan for $25k.  It does lower the interest on the Cap One debt.  But it will also really hurt my credit by closing that card. 

Any advice is appreciated.

Message 18 of 20
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP,

Honestly and in my sincerest humble opinion, your scores should be the least of your worries. Scores will bounce back. Right now you are in financial distress carrying high balances on multiple high-interest cards and having maxed out card. 

If I were in your shoes, I would take the PL and be happy to close the accts. I know you didnt ask but it might be a good idea to stop using all your cards and start a regimen of paying the other cards off. 

The reason the lender wants the accounts closed is because what usually happens when people consolidate their bills, they end up running the very same credit cards back up. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 19 of 20
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Cred4All wrote:

@huntersimp wrote:

I now make enough to pay this down over time. 

I've paid off $20k in debt in the last 8 months.  Most of this was accrued when my business was not so good.

Its not an emergency.  But, I appreciate the comment.

Op, paying down $20k in 8 months is excellent, and that alone makes me look at this from the opposite side of the box.  Before I comment and throw out my opinion / personal choice of what I would do... as my own disclaimer - it would be prudent to have a general idea of your income / DTI.  Being that I don't, just take this as a general opinion without full factual basis:

In reality, all of the accounts you listed have higher intereset rates than your Capital One Venture card.  By paying off the Venture, sure you're getting initial relief and knocking off the largest debt, however, you're still left with a # of high interest cards that don't help near as much as having the lower interest / larger balance Venture card in the end.  Some say you'll easily rebound, but it can take years to get back to a 20k limit.  Again, YMMV so this depends in income.  Also, by just cutting out the Venture card you in fact will lose about 50% of your utilization, and yes that would be quite a crunch unless everything was at AZEO.  My 2 cents is that if you already paid off 20k in 8 months, then you should be able to afford at a minimum, $1500/month toward this goal. 

Month 1

Pay Off:

• Walmart (24.65%) - $620 limit    $280 balance
  • Merrick Bank (27.2%) - $2800 limit    $740 balance

Month 2

Pay Off:

• Cap One Rewards (21.55%) - $1500 limit    $280 balance
  • Barclay Apple (28.74%) - $850 limit    $530 balance (Barclays is balance chasing his one)

Month 3

Pay Off All or Part of:

• Barclay Rewards (25.74%)- $3800 limit    $2150 balance (This is being transferred to Mercury Mastercard)

Month 4

Pay Off Half of:

• Cap One Quicksilver (21.74%) - $7600 limit    $3600 balance

Month 5

Pay Rest of:

• Cap One Quicksilver (21.74%) - $7600 limit    $1800 balance

Month 6 - 10

Pay off at least $1500+ per month on:

• Avant Personal Loan (35%) - $7k balance

Month 11 - ##

Within another 8+ Months paying at least $1500 on the below you'll be in great shape:

• Cap One Venture (19.65%) - $20k limit    $17k balance (Should be a bit less by now having paid min)

I'm no accountant, but going by what you've provided, and cutting out going to fancy dinners and vacations for 1 year, I'd call this year and a half plan pretty darn doable.  Again, my 2 cents.

I think this is a pretty good idea and kudos to you for taking the time to break it down for OP. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.