Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Loan Credit Score?

tag
firemartinez1980
Regular Contributor

Personal Loan Credit Score?

Just curious, what would be a good score to get a decent interest rate for a personal loan?

Also, what score do banks look at when applying for a Personal loan?

My wife and I are looking to get a loan of about $7000 and my current FICO 8 score with Experian is 665 and my EQ and TU are roughly the same.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Re: Personal Loan Credit Score?

The score used and rate depends entirely on the bank. Try to see if you can find some SP approvals. I know Discover has personal loans and you can check your rate with a SP. 

https://www.discover.com/personal-loans/

Message 2 of 4
FlaDude
Established Contributor

I don't know what you consider a decent rate, but scores in that range are probably not going to get the best rates. When I've been loan shopping I've gone to the preapproval page on CK or NerdWallet, they have always gotten me a bunch of offers (SP) and I've never had a problem qualifying for the loans offered.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@firemartinez1980 wrote:

Just curious, what would be a good score to get a decent interest rate for a personal loan?

Also, what score do banks look at when applying for a Personal loan?

My wife and I are looking to get a loan of about $7000 and my current FICO 8 score with Experian is 665 and my EQ and TU are roughly the same.

I'd be careful going into a personal loan right now. I see where you've posted that you are closing on a home in 3 months ... most lenders ask that you not open new credit while going through the mortgage process. This could increase your DTI and you may take a hit for a  new inquiry/new account. Also if you are planning to use this loan to pay for closing costs/required reserves etc a lender may not allow borrowed money to do that.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.