Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Loan NFCU or Pen Fed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Personal Loan NFCU or Pen Fed

This forum has been great for me as well. In evaluating Credit Unions I opted to go with NFCU after reviewing numerous strong reviews here. Still rebuilding, but making progress. I tried for the  Platinum card and was initially approved for only 3K SL. I know..right. I sent an email back outlining my current scores and leveraging my USAA limits and insisting on a minimum of 10K-matching my highest limit thus far. Waited a few days..nothing. I thought maybe due to the holiday weekend. Well tonight at 11:45pm, I get an email back with approval for 18.5K.  Would never have considered asking for a higher limit without you guys. 

Message 11 of 26
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:successful

This forum has been great for me as well. In evaluating Credit Unions I opted to go with NFCU after reviewing numerous strong reviews here. Still rebuilding, but making progress. I tried for the  Platinum card and was initially approved for only 3K SL. I know..right. I sent an email back outlining my current scores and leveraging my USAA limits and insisting on a minimum of 10K-matching my highest limit thus far. Waited a few days..nothing. I thought maybe due to the holiday weekend. Well tonight at 11:45pm, I get an email back with approval for 18.5K.  Would never have considered asking for a higher limit without you guys. 

Congratulations on your reconsideration and approval!

Message 12 of 26
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

Very nice work and effort with the recon.  Greta choice in going with the Platinum.  Congrats to you!

20200906_141415.gif

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Allzero!

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Credit4Growth! I really appreciate the encouragement
Message 15 of 26
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations on your Recon CLI..

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I owe it to you guys

Message 17 of 26
growthadvocate
Contributor

@cashorcharge  quick question; I'm shopping BT cards for my Mom to assist her prep for a mortgage refi...your comment about approvals getting flipped when large BT's are attempted caught my attention--first I've heard of this.  Would you be kind enough to point me in the right direction--what threads did you see that?  Do you recall which lenders did this?  Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Message 18 of 26
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I wish I had specifics @growthadvocate as it was one of those cursory threads when going through the "Credit Applications" thread. You may want to search in there for "approved then declined"

There were only a few specifics and I want to say it was more related to CU's than Banks.  Again, sorry that I didn't notate it as I am not in the market for a BT.  Essentially, what people had stated was they were "approved" when going online to apply for a card...usually a pre-qualified link...and then when it was time to accept the offer, they initiated and when they had the option of entering BT info for other accounts...after they hit submit it would transfer to "pending approval" and then in the end, some got a decline.  It may have been the result of the bank not wanting to provide only so much credit and then have it maxed out with a BT from other debt.

Since I've read this a few times and if it were me, I would find a card that offers the BT that you're looking for...but when you're applying....go through the process, complete the approval and get the account open.  Once it's open and you have the card in hand, I would then log back in to your account online and initiate the BT.  Most of these offers do not require you to enter all the data at the time of application.  You would qualify for a BT at a specific time and rate but it's not imperrative that you enter all that during the moment of applying.  

Lastly, if it's an option for her...if she has existing accounts with another bank and she's got solid credit, it may be worth exploring a BT with an existing bank she has a relationship with.  With a lot of my accounts, their are typically "Offers" that are displayed online and that may be a good approach.  

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the most part Citi seems to honor the BT offer after approval, and they appear to have the longest duration at 18 months last i checked. 21 months right before that. I personally haven't heard/read any horror stories of any banks revoking the BT offer other than one instance, and don't recall who it was that mentioned it. 

Several Lenders don't seem to even offer the BToption in with their SUBs at the moment, so I would definitely read the fine print. Chase for example has eliminated it from all their cards, with the 0% being only on purchases. That's not to say you won't find one though, I've come across plenty that still have the wording. However, based on the applicant's profile the BT offer may be revoked upon approval.

Then of course there's the old issue of getting approved for enough to cover said BT, one needs to definitely weigh their options because taking the hit to get a new card can be depressing if it doesn't do what the person intended the card to do. Especially if this is right before a Mortgage.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.