cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phillips 66 App + Direcpay = Scam? Need advise!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Phillips 66 App + Direcpay = Scam? Need advise!

Please forgive me if in wrong section, (wasn't quite sure what it would fall under.) Found myself in a bit of a predicament and could use a little advise, firstly being I’m well on my way of rebuilding my credit and getting things cleaned up. Recently breaking 700 on all 3 with the goal of becoming a first time homeowner hopefully sooner then later. I do a lot of driving for work everyday and the most convenient gas station for me is a phillips 66. They have a promotion to use the phillips 66 app and get .10 off a gallon using pay at the pump. (Pretty neat setup actually, type your pump number and pin in the app and it authorizes the pump) Signup for the 'directpay' service and get another .15 cents a gallon. (Direcpay using ach transfer instead of credit card processing system.) For me saving a quarter a gallon is a nice little chunk of change every month, heck yeah I'm on board. I have a chime bank account where about a quarter of my check gets direct deposited every pay period (Mileage reimbursement, etc ...) which is used mostly for maintenance and expenses like fuel and spending money. So I set this 'Directpay' account up to use that account. My very first, and only, transaction I received a notice from chime that indicated transaction was declined a day or two later. I'm like 'what!?!?' the..... money was in the account and even more importantly the account has overdraft protection setup. I contacted Chime and they specifically stated the transaction was declined on the merchants side so they are unable to see any details as to why but suggested that i contact the merchant. By this point I'm starting to have bill collectors blowing my phone up harassing me. I have no problem whatsoever paying the $27 debt for gas but I'm refusing to pay that service charge. The money was in the dang account!! something else has to be wrong!! So I contact Philips 66 and they sent me to direcpay. I tried contacting direcpay and received a **bleep**ty response from them saying it's my bank account issue (which honestly would seem like the most logical explanation but chime say it isn’t.) This direcpay outfit sure does seem awfully sketchy! I'm looking for insight into this before I pay for do anything! , most importantly by far is there any chance this could hit my credit report if I refuse to pay the service charge? Or is this one of those cases where I need to just suck it up and pay it off because life isn't fair? Just get so tired of being run over by 'The Machine' and this entire situation almost feels like a scam.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Phillips 66 App + Direcpay = Scam? Need advise!

@Anonymous wrote:
Please forgive me if in wrong section, (wasn't quite sure what it would fall under.) Found myself in a bit of a predicament and could use a little advise, firstly being I’m well on my way of rebuilding my credit and getting things cleaned up. Recently breaking 700 on all 3 with the goal of becoming a first time homeowner hopefully sooner then later. I do a lot of driving for work everyday and the most convenient gas station for me is a phillips 66. They have a promotion to use the phillips 66 app and get .10 off a gallon using pay at the pump. (Pretty neat setup actually, type your pump number and pin in the app and it authorizes the pump) Signup for the 'directpay' service and get another .15 cents a gallon. (Direcpay using ach transfer instead of credit card processing system.) For me saving a quarter a gallon is a nice little chunk of change every month, heck yeah I'm on board. I have a chime bank account where about a quarter of my check gets direct deposited every pay period (Mileage reimbursement, etc ...) which is used mostly for maintenance and expenses like fuel and spending money. So I set this 'Directpay' account up to use that account. My very first, and only, transaction I received a notice from chime that indicated transaction was declined a day or two later. I'm like 'what!?!?' the..... money was in the account and even more importantly the account has overdraft protection setup. I contacted Chime and they specifically stated the transaction was declined on the merchants side so they are unable to see any details as to why but suggested that i contact the merchant. By this point I'm starting to have bill collectors blowing my phone up harassing me. I have no problem whatsoever paying the $27 debt for gas but I'm refusing to pay that service charge. The money was in the dang account!! something else has to be wrong!! So I contact Philips 66 and they sent me to direcpay. I tried contacting direcpay and received a **bleep**ty response from them saying it's my bank account issue (which honestly would seem like the most logical explanation but chime say it isn’t.) This direcpay outfit sure does seem awfully sketchy! I'm looking for insight into this before I pay for do anything! , most importantly by far is there any chance this could hit my credit report if I refuse to pay the service charge? Or is this one of those cases where I need to just suck it up and pay it off because life isn't fair? Just get so tired of being run over by 'The Machine' and this entire situation almost feels like a scam.

I can't help with the direcpay vs chime issue as I have never used either. 

However, you did receive goods (gas) and you are responsible for paying for those goods. If you decide not to pay on principal because of an issue with direcpay/chime you should expect a collection account to eventually show up on your credit report(s).

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You missed the part where I specifically stated that i don't have a problem paying for what I received! I do have an issue with the service charges that was tacked onto it! It's right after the part about the bill collectors calling.
Message 3 of 9
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You missed the part where I specifically stated that i don't have a problem paying for what I received! I do have an issue with the service charges that was tacked onto it! It's right after the part about the bill collectors calling.

He didn't miss it.  You're responsible for fees that are part of your account terms, and, according to your post, the fee in question resulted from Phillips 66 not receiving payment for goods you received.  If you want to make the informed decision to not pay that fee based on principle, you can do so, but you should expect a collection account on your reports eventually.  Having the three institutions involved in your transaction each pointing you in a circle to the other is an extremely frustrating experience, but the members who reply here are only offering the best advice that they have out of kindness and willingness to help, and it's been my experience that you'll get the most out of this forum if you read any reply to that advice in the spirit in which it is given.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why I don't even bother posting anymore. Nothing to do with the question at hand.
Message 5 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Why I don't even bother posting anymore. Nothing to do with the question at hand.

You came here asking for advice, and you got good and relevant advice.  You not caring for the advice given isn't cause to make comments like the last 2 you made in this thread.   Please be mindful of the site's FSR policy.

Thank you for your cooperation.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 9
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

For what it is worth, I used to have chime.  I opened a high yield savings account at another bank and tried to do an ACH transfer from Chime to the other bank.  

The next day, I discovered the other bank had shut down my savings account because they had had a lot of fraud issues associated with Chime Bank.  The woman in the fraud department was so rude... made it seem like I should have known. It took me several days and working directly with the VP of the bank (small NC bank) to get it sorted out.  He had a devil of a time trying to get ahold of anyone at chime bank who could confirm the account status etc.  he finally gave up and reinstated my account as long as I promised never to do transfers involving Chime bank.  

The amount in question was 50 bucks!  I even told the fraud department lady if I was going to commit fraud, I would do it for waaay more than 50 bucks!

Lesson learned... don't use Chime Bank.

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 7 of 9
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Sometimes you have to ask yourself whether you would rather be right or have peace.  I doubt that the amount of the service fees is going to kill you financially.  

However, the collection on your credit reports could make your financial life very difficult for at least 7 years.

If you truly feel it is a scam, pay off the debt to avoid the credit impact and then take the company to small claims court to recover the fees.

No matter how righteous the cause, self-help remedies seldom end well!

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 8 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They are addressing your questions....you just keep being a bit rude. The consensus is to just pay and deal with who's at fault later. If you don't pay because you don't like the service fees, well, expect a collection eventually, even if it's just $27. No one seems to want to take the blame, which I understand is frustrating, but ultimately the only one you hurt by not paying is yourself, because you risk getting a collection slapped on your reports over $27 and whatever fees are being added on. This will hurt you for 7 years.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.