cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Player 2 Chase Checking Account for SUB?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Player 2 Chase Checking Account for SUB?

Hey everyone, 

I didn't have strong intuitions about about which sub-thread would be an appropriate place for this question, so I'm posting it here with apologies if this isn't correct. 

Chase has a $225 signup bonus if you open a checking account with them. I just opened one, and it's working for me because there are no Wells Fargo branches in Columbus, OH, but there are plenty of Chase locations. Now I can withdraw cash from an ATM without a fee (if I wanted to at least). I'm still in the honeymoon phase with Chase and I have a Freedom Unlimited and the Amazon card, and since I'm at 3/24, I'd like to pick up a Sapphire Preferred (or maybe a Reserve if I can justify it) and a Freedom Flex in the coming year. 

My wife also wants to open a checking account with Chase now, but I'm wondering whether this will create any red flags within Chase's system? It would be sweet for us both to be able to get a signup bonus, but I definitely don't want them closing my account because I want to get more Chase cards in the coming months. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it ok for us both to open separate accounts? 

Thank you! --- Donny 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Player 2 Chase Checking Account for SUB?

You can refer her for a $50 referral bonus on top, too

The point of the bonus is customer acquisition, after all -- shouldn't be any downsides really.

I'm about to open a new Chase checking again, in some couple months once I'm allowed per the bonus rules Smiley Happy

Chase considers multiple factors including deposit & investment accounts held with them, alongside credit, when reviewing applications. Treat the account good (some monies in there, no OD/NSF or other negative activity) and it makes applications easier.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone, 

I didn't have strong intuitions about about which sub-thread would be an appropriate place for this question, so I'm posting it here with apologies if this isn't correct. 

Chase has a $225 signup bonus if you open a checking account with them. I just opened one, and it's working for me because there are no Wells Fargo branches in Columbus, OH, but there are plenty of Chase locations. Now I can withdraw cash from an ATM without a fee (if I wanted to at least). I'm still in the honeymoon phase with Chase and I have a Freedom Unlimited and the Amazon card, and since I'm at 3/24, I'd like to pick up a Sapphire Preferred (or maybe a Reserve if I can justify it) and a Freedom Flex in the coming year. 

My wife also wants to open a checking account with Chase now, but I'm wondering whether this will create any red flags within Chase's system? It would be sweet for us both to be able to get a signup bonus, but I definitely don't want them closing my account because I want to get more Chase cards in the coming months. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it ok for us both to open separate accounts? 

Thank you! --- Donny 

I believe you need to look at the SUB terms and see if it says "one per household" and your wife likely cannot be a joint signer on your account. If she is, she will not likely qualify for the SUB, but the info you need will be in the SUB terms.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I don't see any of those terms in the fine print, so that's a good sign! 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I'll try to snag that referral bonus too! I appreciate the advice. 

Message 5 of 6
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Many couples have joint and separate accounts. As long as accounts are following the terms in accordance to TOS, Chase will not take any action against either of you.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.