Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prosper Rate of Return

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prosper Rate of Return

Anybody here have a lender/investor account with Prosper? If so, what have your rates of return been on your investments since you started? I've been actively investing since early this year and have an average ROI of almost 14%. Just curious what others' results have been!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Prosper Rate of Return

Are there specific requirement to become an investor? If so coudl you list?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an investment account with Lending Club and am currently a little over 9%. Decided to try to invest in some of the high rate/low grade loans to see what would happen and sure enough had a few get charged off which dropped that rate quite a bit. 

Message 3 of 6
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

How does it work if someone cannot pay back the loan? I read that the San Bernadino terrorist couple had just taken out a $25,000 loan from Prosper. If  I was a lender, and I had partially funded that loan, am I out of luck? Or is there some kind of insurance or something in case the borrower can't/won't pay it back?

Message 4 of 6
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

I currently have a small portfolio of 12 loans just to check it out. I went conservative, and at eight months I'm averaging 9% with no late payments so far.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 5 of 6
olehammer
Frequent Contributor

I was up to about 50 loans, mostly from buying them on the secondary market within Prosper (Folio). It was pretty fun but got in a situation where I needed to liquidate.

You can resell loans, even sometimes at a 3-5% profit if they have solid payment history. All told it took about 3 months to sell all of them and cash out fully. i suppose if you really needed the money fast you could take a loss and offer up the loans at a 5% discount or more.

I would say your success is going to be based around the general success of the economy. For the last 7 years people have generally done well as defaults are at a minimum. The minute we hit a down turn people will start losing their incomes and your profits will suffer. That's part of the reason I got out when I did.

Once we buy our house I would say I'd go back to playing with minimal amounts just to diversify a bit.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.