Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Amex personal loan

tag
Sharpism
Valued Member

Question about Amex personal loan

Does anybody have any recent experience with how long it took for a personal loan with American Express to report to all of the credit bureaus once you were approved?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about Amex personal loan

@Sharpism wrote:

Does anybody have any recent experience with how long it took for a personal loan with American Express to report to all of the credit bureaus once you were approved?

IIRC, they took nearly 2 months to report for me but this was several years ago.  Amex has never been what I would call a speedy reporter for any new account.

Message 2 of 8
Sharpism
Valued Member

Appreciate it. I believe I saw some posts on here awhile back that indicated they were reporting much quicker than they used to for their consumer credit cards but couldn't recall if anybody had any experience with that happening on a personal loan as well.

Message 3 of 8
brk1971
Frequent Contributor

@Sharpism wrote:

There is a monthly statement (invoice) and they report monthly directly just the same as with their credit / charge cards. If your loan disbursement is on the 15th and your monthly statement on the 20th, it could take 5-7 days. If your disbursement is on the 15th and the monthly statement is on the 17th, it may miss the statement date (still in setup) and it may take almost 2 months.  After the first one, it'll report every month. 

Unique IMO to Amex PL is that you can pay the invoice (statement) balance prior to the next statement without paying the daily interest, as while it's compounded daily, it's added monthly on the statement date. (good to know for payoff months)

Fico8 = EQ 779, TU 802, EX 771 (6/22/2022), util = 6.5% ish
INQ in 12 mo: EQ 4, TU 4, EX 7
Cards: NFCU: Flagship VS $45k, Plat $24.3k, Plat $10.7k | Amex: Delta Reserve $50k | Citi: DC WE MC $28.8k | Discover: It $22.5k | Barclays: Juniper $15.25k | USAA: PCR VS $15k, RA $5k | UMB: SR VS $15k | PenFed: Path VS $20k, Plat Rew VS $15k | Synchrony: Lowes’s store $25k | Truist: Bright $10.5k, Bright $6.5k | Cap1: Venture1 Plat MC $10.3k, Kohls store $3k | Comenity: MyCash MC $17.5k | Wells Fargo: AC $10.3k | TD Bank: Target MC $6k (Reports as retail card despite now being MC) | BoA: CCR VS $30k | Affinity FCU: Premium VS $25k
Message 4 of 8
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

@Sharpism wrote:

@Sharpism  I was approved 11/12/2021; statement cycled 11/22/2021 and I got the alerts from TU and EX yesterday, 11/25/2021.  So, in my case, three days after statement cycle date. 

Message 5 of 8
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

I know this off topic, but @BearsCubsOtters did you have a big drop in your FICO score. Thanks

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 6 of 8
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

@Rebuild2019 wrote:
I know this off topic, but @BearsCubsOtters did you have a big drop in your FICO score. Thanks

@Rebuild2019  I lost 2 points on Experian (826 to 824) and 4 on TU (823 to 819). I have not checked EQ yet. Not too bad. One of the reasons banks give me for not having a perfect 850 score is "lack of recent installment loan" so I am sure that will change to "balance on installment loans too high" lol 

Message 7 of 8
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Thanks @BearsCubsOtters. Not too bad of a drop. Thanks again.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.