Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Money Market account

tag
Azza
Regular Contributor

Question about Money Market account

Hi everyone!

I received an offer today to apply for a Money Market account through my bank. They state it has a 0.05% APY rate, and that interest compounds daily at 0.05%.

chrome_bvrwlpuLud.png

I am trying to understand. So if I deposited $5,000 and sat on it for a year, would I have $5,092 or $6,000?

Thank you!

Currently Reporting:

Current Score:

Gardening Started with:

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Question about Money Market account

PhotoGrid_1593543488096.jpg

Message 2 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

In comparison, my DCU savings with a cap of $1000 earns just over $3 a month at 6.17%

Message 3 of 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Message 4 of 9
Azza
Regular Contributor

That's not very much...

What, er, why is the daily rate stated as 0.05% and the APY is also 0.05%? If interest is compounding daily, wouldn't that mean 0.05% against the principal each day 365 times? 

Currently Reporting:

Current Score:

Gardening Started with:

Message 5 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Message 6 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Azza wrote:

That's not very much...

What, er, why is the daily rate stated as 0.05% and the APY is also 0.05%? If interest is compounding daily, wouldn't that mean 0.05% against the principal each day 365 times? 

It doesn't.  Mathematical formula if your curious is here:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/compoundinterest.asp

        
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Azza wrote:

That's not very much...

The 0.05% is not the daily rate,  but the  APR. The APR is the annual rate not counting compound interest. The APY  is the annual  rate including compound interests. Since the interest rate is so small, the daily compounded interest earned on $5000 in one year is only  0.06 cents, which is then rounded to 0.  So you are not earning any compound interest. Hence the  APR and the APY are  both  equal to 0.05%.

The daily rate is APR/365=0.05%/365=0.00013...%

Message 8 of 9
Ragdollkitty
New Contributor

That list of good rates from CU's is great. I personally am using the DCU and Service CU deals.

If you're a T-Mobile customer, the TMobile Money a checking they promote from Bankmobile pays 3% on up to $3k and 1% on amounts over. 1% flat for non TMobile customers or those that don't meet deposit requirements for the month ($200 every month), which still isn't bad.

The Patriot Bank Online Money Market is still at 1.40% as of today where many dropped their rates already July 1 (another online bank I was looking at 1.36% last week and already dropped to 1.06%).

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.