Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about NFCU membership

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about NFCU membership

I applied for NFCU membership last Thursday and about 30 minutes later, I got an email requesting 2 forms of ID proving my address. I sent those in immediately and now it says I need to wait 5 business days.

Since they requested my address verification, does that mean I'm most likely approved? Also, are they still bad about freezing people's accounts that haven't submitted DD-214's or any sort of proof showing that they or their relative has served?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Question about NFCU membership

@Anonymous 

Although I have not  seen them request verfication on eligibility as a common thing, it is rare but has happened  . It is always best though to have it in case you would need it down the road .

How were you eligible to join and can you get the documentation if the need arises?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom

So I actually applied through the "Employer - other" option and surprisingly it said I was eligible. However as a fall back, my father IS an Army vet. But the reason I didn't select that option is because he no longer has his DD-214, and there's currently no way to get a replacement due to covid.  The last thing I want is to gain membership using him just to have my accounts frozen because they want a copy of his DD-214.

Message 3 of 11
AZ-Jeff
New Contributor

I was able to get my father's DD-214 through the VA national archives website.  This was before the pandemic and it took about 2 or 3 months if I remember correctly. With some information, you should be able to get it as well. Good luck!

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AZ-Jeff wrote:

I was able to get my father's DD-214 through the VA national archives website.  This was before the pandemic and it took about 2 or 3 months if I remember correctly. With some information, you should be able to get it as well. Good luck!

That's the problem. I already requested a copy, but it looks like they aren't processing any non-emergency requests at this time. If it took months to get it BEFORE covid, I don't even want to think about how long it will take for me to get it NOW.

Message 5 of 11
blindambition
Senior Contributor

You've ordered DD214, so that's good. I'm sure things will loosen sometime later this year.

Audits do happen, but are rare. Navy might have something in place for current situation, but pure speculation.

Good luck on membership.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Navy Federal still lock accounts for eligibility verification?

I was just approved for a Navy Federal membership over the phone this morning, and for eligibility I told them my father is an Army vet (which is true) but he doesn't have his DD-214, and the Veteran Archives are not accepting new requests due to Covid.

They went ahead and submitted my application and approved me for checking and savings accounts.  I plan on using this as my main bank, as there don't really seem to be any downsides, but I've read posts on various forums that Navy Federal has randomly locked people's accounts and requested validation for their membership.

I'm a little worried about switching all of my banking over just to be locked out and lose access to my money.  Most of the posts mentioning this were from at least 4+ years ago, so I was just wondering if this was still a common practice for them?

Message 7 of 11
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: Does Navy Federal still lock accounts for eligibility verification?

I haven't heard of them requesting proof in the year I've been a member of NFCU. 

I've been a member here also for little over a year and haven't read any posts about it. Some others who've been with Navy much longer than I mentioned it's happened in the past but not recently.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

I haven't heard of them requesting proof in the year I've been a member of NFCU. 

I've been a member here also for little over a year and haven't read any posts about it. Some others who've been with Navy much longer than I mentioned it's happened in the past but not recently.

Good to hear! I may just keep my active banking with First Tech FCU for the rest of the month to be on the safe side. If everything is still good by April, then I'll probably make the switch.

Message 9 of 11
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

Good to hear! I may just keep my active banking with First Tech FCU for the rest of the month to be on the safe side. If everything is still good by April, then I'll probably make the switch.

Sounds good! 

Forgot to tell you congrats on joining Navy! They're a great CU to be with. A lot of opportunity with them. 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.