Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about withdrawing 401K

tag
novabama
Frequent Contributor

Question about withdrawing 401K

Hi folks, first time on this board looking for advice. I am considering quitting my job to take another. I've racked up over 4K in the last year I have been here. I've been trying to be very good about saving for my retirement now (I'm 29). BUT I have a car loan of 11K at 18% on my 2015 car. No chance of refinancing anytime soon. I may have the money to pay it off within the next few months, BUT I don't have a guaranteed date. 

So a poll - disregarding the payoff scenario which is a possibility - would you:

A. take the 10% penalty and taxes, and put the 3K ish toward the 11K loan balance or B. Not take it out at all? 

**I've worked in the tax industry so I'm well aware of this situation with taxes and penalties. 

TIA Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about withdrawing 401K

I absolutely wouldn't do this -- at any age.

If you can't afford the payments, work a second job and catch up.

Better yet, fix your credit enough that you can refinance a bad loan with a good one.

Paying a ridiculous fee + taxes to pay down 18% debt doesn't make sense.

Message 2 of 12
novabama
Frequent Contributor

Well I really did rebuild my credit - but there is a repo from a few years ago that the SOL is not up on so I'm scared to touch and I sure can't PIF for that. Also some lates that are inacurrate from my student loans that I'm fighting with them to get removed. So... we will see. Appreciate the input. 

Also, I am a single mom with no babysitter, so there are very few extra jobs I can get as I have no family either. I work full time during the day and also attend school full time to have my bachelor's next year. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not worth it.

I wouldn't just automatically assume you don't qualify for refinancing at a much better rate. Have you tried a soft pull prequal such as Capital One?

Message 4 of 12
novabama
Frequent Contributor

Yes, unfortunately I do it every couple months. It's not for lack of trying - I even have a 3 card history with Cap 1 specifically. Frustrating. 

Message 5 of 12
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@novabama wrote:

Hi folks, first time on this board looking for advice. I am considering quitting my job to take another. I've racked up over 4K in the last year I have been here. I've been trying to be very good about saving for my retirement now (I'm 29). BUT I have a car loan of 11K at 18% on my 2015 car. No chance of refinancing anytime soon. I may have the money to pay it off within the next few months, BUT I don't have a guaranteed date. 

So a poll - disregarding the payoff scenario which is a possibility - would you:

A. take the 10% penalty and taxes, and put the 3K ish toward the 11K loan balance or B. Not take it out at all? 

**I've worked in the tax industry so I'm well aware of this situation with taxes and penalties. 

TIA Smiley Happy

Ah it is that time of year where tax accountant's look for other CPA firms to join or get out of public accounting all together. I understad your pain well novabama.  Smiley Wink Change jobs or look to get out of public accounting. The grass is usually greener on the other side. Just don't put in your notice unti you have something else secured.

Once you have that new job going, then join a credit union and re-fi your auto loan to a lower amount. Roll over the 401K into a seperate account and keep investing in it. After all you are investing in yourself and your future.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 6 of 12
iced
Valued Contributor

It would be lunacy to withdraw that money at your age. That $4k could grow to be close to $100k by the time you retire. Why would anyone use that much money to pay for a depreciating asset? No.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never.  401K withdrawal is for death and retirement only. 

Message 8 of 12
sjt
Senior Contributor

I would NOT recommend withdrawing from your 401K to reduce your car loan. It would do you any good.

What is your current credit score? What are the baddies? Have you looked into a credit union?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forums, OP. Smiley Happy

I would recommend 100% staying away from the mindset that it is ok to raid your 401k for any reason. 

The reason may seem urgent or to be a legitimate reason at the time, but consider why you are thinking of raiding your 401k - because you don't have additional funds saved up that you could use instead. I'd seriously recommend working on the savings issue instead of raiding a retirement account.

Voluntarily quitting a job and then raiding a 401k plan while also being in debt does not sound like a good combination of actions, in my opinion.

I also would recomment investigating the credit union route as a possible auto refinance option.

Another suggestion that may help - I'd recommend avoiding large financial moves when you are quitting a job or starting a new one.

You wouldn't want to make a large financial move (i.e., buying a new house or car, raiding your 401k plan), only to find out that the new company is cutting staff after 2 months for cost containment purposes, or that they didn't decide to extend your employment beyond your probationary period.

Good luck, OP.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.