Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about eligibility for joining NFCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Questions about eligibility for joining NFCU

Hi. I'm interested in opening checking & savings accounts with NFCU. Although I wouldn't be applying for any credit products for at least a year, I thought it might be a good idea to establish a relationship with them now.

Based on the information from their website I am eligible for membership because I am related to military veterans.

Here are my probably very stupid questions...

The NFCU website includes grandparents as eligible sponsors. My grandfather, who was a WWII veteran, passed away in 2013. Would he still be considered an eligible sponsor? 

My husband is an Army veteran, but he doesn't seem too interested in joining. Would I be able to join without him? The NFCU website is a little vague in some spots and I couldn't figure out a definitive answer based on the diffrent threads I read here in the forums.

Thanks in advance for any insight. I just want to make sure I'm going about this the correct way and not doing anything obnoxious.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Questions about eligibility for joining NFCU

I have been researching the same thing myself, my father (deceased) was in the Army Reserves from '65-'71.

From what i gather the eligibility is for immediate family (grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) ).

Whether they are members or eligible to be members. 

While i know my father is a veteran per se, i don't have a copy of his military paperwork if they should ask for the documentation. From my research into others in the same situation, it could be hit or miss on the substantiation part. Although i know i can request it, from my looking into it that it's not too timely of a turnaround on such.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Budcny.... you wont need any discharge papers from your dad, just call NFCU and give fathers full name and branch of service.  I just opened account with them as well.  I did have the information but they did not ask for it.  Just name and BOS.  You will have to call the customer service rep, you will not be able to apply online.  Be ready to provide a credit or debit card for the minimum 5.00 initial deposit.  Best Wishes!! 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

you could join based on spouse or grandfather, even if he is deceased.  they only ask for name of sponsor and branch of service.  no other information required.  i joined off my dad he never was a member of nfcu.  hope this helps... best wishes!!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the info. I called a few minutes ago and was able to open my checking and savings account with a representative. I had all the information for my grandfather and husband ready, and the rep didn't even ask for their names. When I offered the info, she said she already had what she needed and welcomed me to NFCU.

Message 5 of 8
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

that is the best thing about NFCU every time I've called even for the most stupid of questions or requests, no matter the time of day or day of the month their CRs have always been super nice and very willing to help. NFCU totally rocks! Welcome to the family. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Budcny.... you wont need any discharge papers from your dad, just call NFCU and give fathers full name and branch of service.  I just opened account with them as well.  I did have the information but they did not ask for it.  Just name and BOS.  You will have to call the customer service rep, you will not be able to apply online.  Be ready to provide a credit or debit card for the minimum 5.00 initial deposit.  Best Wishes!! 

Thank you for the tip. 16 minute phone call today is all it took. Officially a member now.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations to both of you!  I just joined NFCU a couple months back.  I love it!  Also joined PenFed to establish a relationship for next year, just like you.  Though I did refinance my auto loan with them a week later, no cards yet.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.