Did you mean: 

Quick Question About NFCU

tag
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

Re: Quick Question About NFCU

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@Iusedtolurk wrote:

I joined NFCU back in Dec 21 and only made deposits into my only account which is a Savings account.

Today I attempted to withdraw some funds to my external bank account. On the screen that shows it says From: and I clicked my Savings account then when I went down to the TO: part the screen shows my external bank account but it was unclickable.

Is there some secret trick to getting this to work?

No biggy just testing for when I do a withdrawal later down the line.

I will give them a call probably later today but just wanted to see if any early birds (it's 4 am right now) might want to chime in if they have experienced this before.

I had this same problem with being able to transfer out of Navy.   I did a couple of large SSL's with them and wanted to get the money into a higher yield account once I paid down those loans to under 9%.

You have to set up a transfer from another bank's account and then pull the payment through the ACH.   Navy will honor the withdrawal initiated by another bank/CU but will not let you initiate a transfer out from their site.   (It's stupid I know).   This is how I solved it.

So far as opening another checking account.....

kevin-hart-bank.JPG

to see if the transfer would work smoothly (more than likely as members here have stated) I chose to utilize the method stated for pulling by ACH (You have to set up a transfer from another bank's account and then pull the payment through the ACH.)

Didn't realize you could do this until now. (was just familiar with pushing payments which I also learned on this forum a while back).

So today I initiated a pull FROM: NFCU TO: my bank I originally funded my NFCU saving account with.

Everything seemed to work on this end so far. Info says pull today and as its a weekend transfer will be sent and completed by next business day.

I'll update with outcome

Message 11 of 17
tnhomestead
Frequent Contributor

Just logged in and transferred funds out to another checking account. My account shows 2 external accounts I can transfer to. I cannot transfer from savings. But I can and just did transfer from navy checking to sn external checking account. I did it of the mobile web site, as I hate apps on my phone! Hope this helps.

Message 12 of 17
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Just to add my $0.02's worth ...

I can push payments from checking to any account listed,

but cannot push from "Savings" (would have to transfer to Checking, then push)

(Click image to enlarge)(Click image to enlarge)

Message 13 of 17
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

Okay here's the update I promised.

As stated earlier I did the PULL method from my bank account to my NFCU savings and today it shows the funds withdrawn from my NFCU savings.

It hasn't been credited in my bank account yet but I imagine it will show up by tomorrow.

So that's one way to get the money out of your NFCU savings account.

Message 14 of 17
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@IusedtolurkCSR's can be very very helpful at times. Many have their logbook (script) with answers to many questions. Are they always on point? Not really. Most of the time they hit the nail on the head. You'll see many examples of CSR's comments saying one thing on the forum. But its really another answer at times. Could you try and deposit some savings into checking? Then try the drop down transfer boxes. Let us know how it went. We all work as a team to get the job done and get answers. Good Luck!

@FireMedic1   Another Update with more data points on my experience with NFCU.  As previously stated when I did the pull from my bank account it worked. About a week and a half later I received a letter from NFCU saying they don't approve PULLS from the Savings account and they did mines as a one time Courtesy.  I had already initiated another Pull before I got the letter and got it so I guess that slipped by.

SO I broke down and went ahead and got a checking account from them (took about a hot minute). I then did an external transfer to my other checking account and boom that was done in less than a minute.

Alls well that ends well.

Message 15 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Iusedtolurk wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@IusedtolurkCSR's can be very very helpful at times. Many have their logbook (script) with answers to many questions. Are they always on point? Not really. Most of the time they hit the nail on the head. You'll see many examples of CSR's comments saying one thing on the forum. But its really another answer at times. Could you try and deposit some savings into checking? Then try the drop down transfer boxes. Let us know how it went. We all work as a team to get the job done and get answers. Good Luck!

@FireMedic1   Another Update with more data points on my experience with NFCU.  As previously stated when I did the pull from my bank account it worked. About a week and a half later I received a letter from NFCU saying they don't approve PULLS from the Savings account and they did mines as a one time Courtesy.  I had already initiated another Pull before I got the letter and got it so I guess that slipped by.

SO I broke down and went ahead and got a checking account from them (took about a hot minute). I then did an external transfer to my other checking account and boom that was done in less than a minute.

Alls well that ends well.

Congrats! Glad it all worked out in the end.

Message 16 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Iusedtolurk wrote:

Okay here's the update I promised.

As stated earlier I did the PULL method from my bank account to my NFCU savings and today it shows the funds withdrawn from my NFCU savings.

It hasn't been credited in my bank account yet but I imagine it will show up by tomorrow.

So that's one way to get the money out of your NFCU savings account.

About this, a few years back several members reported issues when trying to do an ACH pull from a NFCU savings account.  I can't put my finger on the threads, but basically Navy honored the debit but reached-out to ask the member(s) not to do that again, but to use their NFCU checking account for pull transactions.

This may have changed, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.