Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RBFCU 10 cents back on debit card program ended

tag
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

RBFCU 10 cents back on debit card program ended

I got a notification in my mobile banking app a couple of weeks back about the RBFCU debit card $0.10 back with every eligible debit transaction ending. At first I thought it was a fluke, because the message went away the next time I used the app, but then it came back and stayed. The message reads,

Effective Jan. 1, 2020, RBFCU is concluding its Debit Card Rewards Program (10 cents cash back) in order to continue offering our members beneficial services such as Really Free Checking accounts, low-rate loans and 2% cash back on purchases using the RBFCU Mastercard Cashback Rewards credit card.

While the Debit Card Rewards Program is concluding, we remain committed to serving our members' financial  needs.  In early 2020, members will receive a full payout of cashback rewards earned in 2019.

As regulatory and economic conditions change, we will continue to look for opportunities that will benefit our members.

I did a quick search and didn't find anyone posting about it, so I thought I'd post a little PSA. Kinda sucks, though I know pretty much everyone on here (obviously) uses their credit card for rewards, not a debit card, but still, on those odd occasions one does use debit, it'll no longer net you 10 cents back. For me it was nice cause all last year I was rebuilding and was using only debit, so I racked up about $70 in cashback from it.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: RBFCU 10 cents back on debit card program ended

I wondered why that had disappeared from the app (the spot is blank). Yeah, that sucks. If I couldn't use a card, they were the next best thing. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If this was something useful, Langley still has it. 

https://www.langleyfcu.org/checking-langleypays

It requires direct deposit, online banking, and estatements but since Langley releases pay 2 days early anyway and they are part of the CO-OP shared branching network, the direct deposit requirement isn't really a big deal. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover dropped it a while back. I miss that sweet, sweet $0.10 on $2 transactions and checks.

However, at least Discover kept a 1% model, which I use regularly where surcharges apply to credit cards but not debit cards.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover dropped it a while back. I miss that sweet, sweet $0.10 on $2 transactions and checks.

However, at least Discover kept a 1% model, which I use regularly where surcharges apply to credit cards but not debit cards.

Yep the 1% cash back on the PayPal Business Debit is the only reason I haven't converted my PayPal back to personal. It's not often I need it but it's good to have it when I do like when I ordered a new drivers license. 

Message 5 of 7
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah. I would say in a way, Discover gave more back to customers by switching to the 1% cash back model. 

Message 6 of 7
Roger1071549
New Contributor

PSECU offers it too, in a way. You get 5 cents for purchases ofer $10. If you have direct deposit it is 10 cents. I have the founders card so its not worth it for me at all, but it may be helpful for some.

https://www.psecu.com/debit-card-rewards
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.