Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REDFCU: Paystub request for membership

tag
RootDet
Established Contributor

REDFCU: Paystub request for membership

RedFCU is turning into a nightmare, needless to say, I am starting to feel they might be crossing into areas that are considered discriminatory and beyond their legal scope under the US Patroit act.  Here is what they have asked for me so far, Drivers license (front and back), utility bill, proof of membership legibility, social security card. Now after about 1 1/2 of pestering them as even forbid if they communicate they come back and ay they want a paystub now.

I fail to see how a FI can ask to see paystubs to open a depository account. I am not engaging in a credit transaction with them (fair game at that point). It is highly unusual even for a credit union at this stage. Based even on information from CFPB, I have fulfilled the obligations under the UPA, and no document I have searched ever hints to needing to disclose one's financial resources to establish a banking relationship.

I wouldn't have a problem with this, it just truly feels improper at this stage and I would be more willing if they actually communicated and didn't require me to chase them around. I find it to be create rude, unethical and lacking the respect for my time for their failure. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
dogmeat
Regular Contributor

Re: REDFCU: Paystub request for membership

Two possibilities by my estimation:  either you selected (or it was automatically selected) some kind of overdraft protection that ends up being a line of credit of some sort, or they just want to offer you credit products, so that's why they've asked.  Credit unions are supposed to work for their customers, keep that in mind.  In all likelihood, they aren't out to get you.  If you don't want any of their credit products, let them know, and tell them that as a consequence you won't supply proof of income.  If you may want to apply for some of their credit products later, but at this time you don't, or as a matter of principle you don't want to be forced to provide proof of income even though you do plan to apply for credit products, well, do whatever you think is right.

I mean this respectfully and in all seriousness as an actual practical solution that may yield positive results for you: maybe get outside and go for a walk, and smell a flower or two.

Message 2 of 9
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP said:

Here is what they have asked for me so far, Drivers license (front and back), utility bill, proof of membership legibility, social security card. Now after about 1 1/2 of pestering them as even forbid if they communicate they come back and ay they want a paystub now.

-------

Honestly, OP, I dont understand what your gripe is. If I wanted to open an account, and these were their requirements, either I open the account or not. It is neither discriminatory or unethical to ask for these things. Security and fraud are at the top of every banks' mind. You have the option to say 'Go chop wood."

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 9
RootDet
Established Contributor

The gripe is lack of of comms for them. The fact that they keep changing the goal post and then won't communicate it. When did they plan on telling me they wanted more info? It is unprofessional. If they wanted a paystub, why didn't they put it in the original request? They also keep asking for all of this to be sent unencrypted via email, and then they seem to lose it over and over again :-\ In 2020, No bank whom claims to rejoice in security like they do, should be asking for that in such an insecure way

Working with Navy FCU's SEcurity team felt like a walk in the park on a sunny day while "Over the Rainbow" was playing from afar. and they are cutthroat, but they tell you what they want, how they want it, and all upfront! They also don't dodge your calls. 

Message 4 of 9
RootDet
Established Contributor

I finally made it through and I can tell you they dig deep over there. They questioned me about an employer I had not worked for in about 15 years. Not on Linkedin, resume, nothing.  So they certainly do some deep background when you get over there. I also know the employer was not even on LN reports. 

Message 5 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@RootDet wrote:

I finally made it through and I can tell you they dig deep over there. They questioned me about an employer I had not worked for in about 15 years. Not on Linkedin, resume, nothing.  So they certainly do some deep background when you get over there. I also know the employer was not even on LN reports. 

Glad to see you made it through. Yeah they've certainly tightened up!!! They were tough on me, but not quite that tough.WOW!!

Yeah I don't see the reason for pay stubs either? Especially if all you were opening is the savings account anyway...weird!

I already know what I would have told them. lol

So you do have better patience than I! ha ha ha

Message 6 of 9
AnimatorProcrastinator
Regular Contributor

My experience may be different as I apped for membership via applying for the Harvest Rewards card, but I was never asked for any kind of income verification or questioned about employment. I think the only 'document' I had to provide was my Driver's License. That was about four months ago, and I just opened a Rewards Checking and Brighter Day Savings account on Wednesday. I was surprised that they required me to email them pictures of my SS card, which I reluctantly did send. Again, nothing about income or employment, but maybe that's because they already had my reported income from the CC app.

Message 7 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@RootDet wrote:

The gripe is lack of of comms for them. The fact that they keep changing the goal post and then won't communicate it. When did they plan on telling me they wanted more info? It is unprofessional. If they wanted a paystub, why didn't they put it in the original request? They also keep asking for all of this to be sent unencrypted via email, and then they seem to lose it over and over again :-\ In 2020, No bank whom claims to rejoice in security like they do, should be asking for that in such an insecure way

Working with Navy FCU's SEcurity team felt like a walk in the park on a sunny day while "Over the Rainbow" was playing from afar. and they are cutthroat, but they tell you what they want, how they want it, and all upfront! They also don't dodge your calls. 

Is that Redstone CU? I see from your post further down you were approved for membership so congratulations. But I would have told them to take a hike. I would never send my DL and especially not my Social Security card through unencrypted email, and would have told them right then their lack of concern for the safety of my personal identity makes me decide I do not want to do business with them. And no way would I provide a paystub just for a bank account. The closest I came to that was a few years ago opening a checking account in branch at Chase. When the rep asked about my income I told her firmly that I'm not applying for credit so I don't care to provide that info. She opened the account, they just try to get as much info as they can, probably for marketing to solicit you for CCs or loans.

Message 8 of 9
RootDet
Established Contributor

I will say, I do not exactly feel that comfortable at REDFCU. Everytime I call in for anything, I am asked every single time why I decided to bank with redstone and not a credit union closer to me. It is like they are going I trip up my answer so they can get a reason to close it. It truly is exhausting to have to justify why I want to bank with a credit union when I am eligible for membership. Serious if you don't like outsiders, then don't accept anything by in-state residents and close the association eligibility. 

urgh. small rant for some additional DP's.  They get an A+ on persistence on asking the question I tell you, like it is a flagged note on my account! 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.