Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random PENFED Marketing/Pre-approval call

tag
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

Random PENFED Marketing/Pre-approval call

Don't know if this is common, but I just got a call from their branch closest to me informing me that I was pre-approved for certain products. She said she could help me process it while connected if I would like to move forward with any of them. Unfortunately, all I want now is a CLI and that was not on the list, obviously because I got 2 new cards from them less than 6weeks ago.

Nonetheless, I found it curious as I have never and do not presently have any pre-approvals showing on my online account. 

Has anyone ever received such unsolicited "pre-approval" calls from Penfed before? If this is a new trend, they must really need to book new loans or drastically expand their loan portfolio.

NB: She followed up with an e-mail showing her branch address and a direct line in case I changed my mind.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Random PENFED Marketing/Pre-approval call

I've never hear of Penfed or pretty much any bank calling you to tell you are pre-approved for credit products. I would be very suspicious of such a call, I hope you didn't provide her with any personal info, especially SSN & DoB. Are you sure the email is legit - check the return email address, it's easy enough to spoof a bank logo and a branch address is public info.

And no, I've been with Penfed since 2017 and never had a pre-approval for anything. They spam me to death with email & snail mail "special offers", but nothing with a pre-approval.

Message 2 of 5
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

Yeah, my sentiments too.

No, she never asked for any personal information but out of an abundance of caution I just got off a call with Penfed using their general public number and they did confirm that she actually works with them and gave me her branch office details without me giving it to them which matches perfectly with the details in her e-mail so I guess this is new from them.

Might I add also, that she actually started the call by rattling out details of my accounts and discussing the recent developments in my relationship with Penfed that even DW wouldn't have been able to recount? So its either she had hacked Penfed or she was who she said she was but I would never give anyone a cent until I have quadruple checked that all bases were covered. Trust but verify.

So it's actually legit.

Message 3 of 5
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Really strange, Glad you confirmed.

Thank you for posting!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

I've never hear of Penfed or pretty much any bank calling you to tell you are pre-approved for credit products ...

BBVA used to call me every couple of months. One time the dude tried asking verification questions to verify I'm me. I told him, Dude, you called me, not the other way around. I need to ask YOU the verification questions.  Smiley LOL Short call. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.